Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Used dive computers
DBdive - 6/16/2013 6:04 AM
Category: Equipment
Replies: 4

Looking to buy a used computer, just wondering what I should be aware of. Are there software updates/upgrades etc?
Green_Achers - 6/17/2013 11:30 AM
Being a fellow buyer of used computers [I can hear the other divers snicker at me], there are a few problems that I’ve run into. There’s a boat load of old junk - and some still work well. So what’s the difference?
  • Battery Condition. If you have to replace the battery, how difficult will that be? One of my computers is oil filled so that was a learning curve. No regrets because I actually like it now that I completed the change.
  • Algorithms. A lot of the older computers have more conservative calculations so they will shorten the dive time and/or repetitive dive times compared to a new computer.
  • Alarms. Getting your attention is as important as having the right information. Over time, the warning tones could become weak or fail.
  • Intuitive Control. Some of the older computers require complex combination of button pushing to navigate through the displays. Modern computers are much easier to figure out and not as dependent on the user reading the manual (PUSH AND HOLD BUTTON FOR THREE SECONDS... Blah, blah, blah). Things as basic as auto ’Wake up" is a hit and miss feature on older computers, but most all new computers have this.
  • Scams and Ignorance. "WORKED LAST TIME I USED IT" ...What? Back in 1987?!? If the battery is dead, the seller has zero idea if the computer will even wake up, let alone be able to run through it’s continuous calculations.
  • Test and Verify. When I buy any used computer, I make sure I am not dependent on it’s performance until I’ve tested it. I dive by a chart and/or a back up computer, comparing information. My dive buddies computer may also help verify the information.
My diving is not pushing dive times and I’m not trying to get as may dives in per day. Also, I realize when I buy a used "deal" that I may be throwing my money away. Maybe next year I’ll actually be able to buy a new computer but until that happens, I’m going with used.

I know it’s best to buy new so I’m going to conclude with this. You’re life, comfort and dive trips are on the line with a computer. Be careful in choice. A few extra dollars may make a world of difference.
Subscribed
DBdive - 6/17/2013 11:50 AM
Thanks for the information.
Subscribed
John_giu - 6/18/2013 8:22 AM
All good info above.

I would add, decide what your needs are and what group of computers meet those needs.

There are many computers available new for $200-$400 with warranties that will serve the casual dive well.

There is a lot of dive gear out there that has seen very little use, so you might get a good deal if you shop it hard enough.

I would not buy anything more then a couple of years old as older computers may not have user replaceable batteries and may not be serviceable. here is an example of a $200.00 Nitrox compatible computer > http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/MRSPWC.html?&& There is a buying guide at the site also.

I’m not sure it’s worth shopping a used computer when you can have this one with free shipping and no tax out-side of New York
Subscribed
DBdive - 6/18/2013 4:36 PM
Thanks. All good advice.