Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

GoPro Hero 3 or no??
GeorgiaGirl - 5/28/2013 9:33 AM
Category: New Diver Q&A
Replies: 16

I am looking into getting a camera for diving. I have an old Sony Cybershot DSC W-170 but can’t find an underwater housing for it. Ikelite made one but it is no longer available. I also have a Sony Cybershot DSC TX200V that no housing is available for that I can find. Then I thought about getting a new inexpensive digital camera, but by the time I get an Ikelite housing for it, I may as well buy a GoPro Hero3. I’m looking at the silver model. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Subscribed
Rich-D-Fish - 5/28/2013 10:01 AM
As I stand alone still camera I would advise against it. There is no way to hook up strobes to it. And the more you get into underwater photography you will quickly see the need for strobes for better photos. If your goal is video alone, it’s a great choice. I personally use a GoPro mounted on top of my camera. I keep the GoPro running all dive long and use my camera for still shots. I admit it is overkill. I just got tired of missing those opportunities to capture shots of animals cruising by because my camera was in macro mode. For some great suggestions here is a website I use: http://www.uwphotographyguide.com But don’t go too crazy on your first setup. I recommend a basic Point & Shoot to start with a single strobe if you can afford it. Many of the dive shops will have packages like that that are very affordable. Have fun!
dalehall - 5/28/2013 10:31 AM
Rich has great advice. I use a Nikon Point and Shoot with a housing use to take my stills. I think I have less than $400 in the whole setup. Like Rich, I also carry a GoPro (Hero2) with me. I wear mine on my head and have it set for movies. But, if you just want to know of the GoPro is worth having, heck yes. Great camera and very versatile. I used mine on dives, mounted on my motorcycle, making time lapse loops, etc. Great little camera. I took some movies on my shark dive in the Bahamas they turned out awesome. If you would like to see afew, just go my youtube: (youtube.com/trollwolf) Note, not all vids are dive related, but most of the later ones are all filmed with the GoPro. (The title will have "GoPro" in it if I used it)
Subscribed
Greg - 5/28/2013 11:58 AM
Subscribed
RAWalker - 5/28/2013 12:26 PM
The Hero 3 and cameras like it that don’t have a built in flash do not take quality still photos. They can be equipped and used to take some good quality video. There are a few lower cost cameras from Intova which can do both. regardless of the way you go and camera you choose you will need to eventually purchase auxiliary lighting to improve the quality of your snapshots or video.
fasjr - 5/28/2013 7:13 PM
I am on my fourth GoPro in a year. The reliability is poor. They keep replacing it under warranty. I would stay away from it.
Subscribed
John_giu - 6/01/2013 6:44 PM
I guess it depends on how deep your pockets and your interests are.

As a new diver it might be advisable to start with a basic point and shoot camera.

You have a lot of things to figure out and a camera that flies like an F-16 might be too much to add to this list.

For me, I want to dive and take a few pictures for memories. I recently got a SeaLife Reef Master Mini II.

Very basic, land, snorkel, and dive settings, with a blue filter and three step zoom and a cheap snap in wide angle lens.

It is self contained with no housing and only one seal to fuss with on the battery compartment. It can be had for about $230 at most online sellers and at Christmas time they ran a $30 rebate. If later you move up to a better camera you like wont have lost too much when you re-sell the Mini. You can make up the $230 quickly when you consider the $100 or so dollars Sandals will charge you for a handful of dive photos.

But the Hero is pretty cool.
Subscribed
John_giu - 6/01/2013 6:47 PM
BTW, you can add a flash or strobe that later-on can be used on more advanced Sea Life cameras
Subscribed
John_giu - 6/01/2013 6:48 PM
OH, yeah, Video mode too
Subscribed
RockRat2008 - 6/18/2013 9:15 AM
As someone who does all the diving (SCUBA and Sky diving) I’m around GoPro’s all the time. I’ve had a Hero 2 for over a year and use it on almost every dive (over 100 in the last year alone) with no issues.

I’ve heard lots of complaints so far about the Hero 3 from fellow skydivers and the advice has been to steer clear of it so I’m still shooting with my Hero 2 and looking at a 2nd one for my wife as well.
Subscribed
sillyfilly41 - 7/18/2013 8:38 AM
I have a Hero 2 with no LCD on the back. I take a lot of shots to get a few good shots. I would like a camera with more control, for example being able to zoom in, as we all know there are critters we don’t necessarily want to be right up on. Since mine is older I have the fish eye but I think it looks pretty neat. Anyway, I am saving for a camera that I can do more with and change colors for water conditions. It is a good starter camera and some dive shops actually have them to rent.
Subscribed
JClark - 8/17/2013 7:46 AM
Ive have the GoPro hero 3 Black.. underwater housing, LCD screen. I absolutely love this camera! The app on my phone is awesome, i can get to all the settings very easily. I even figured out a way to mount it on my mask while diving.. I’ll put a picture of it on my profile.
Subscribed
rjspreckelsen - 8/19/2013 10:56 AM
I recently purchased my GoPro Hero 3 Black and love it so far. I can send you some of the videos I’ve posted on youtube if you would like to see the quality.
I’ve heard if you want still photos to go with a different brand. But I wanted something for videos and was told the Hero 3 was great.
I just recently used it for shark feeding dives in the Bahamas.
Subscribed
RescueDiver15205 - 10/19/2013 7:14 AM
I have a Hero 3 and I LOVE it! I have used a Sea life as well and I like it.
Subscribed
Plmr747 - 12/15/2013 7:35 PM
I personally love my Gopro, I have taken it all over the world diving and never had a problem. The editing program from Gopro is amazing and easy to use... capturing a still from video is a breeze and looks fantastic. I would reccoment getting the "white" and an extension pole to get closer imaging. The only down side I have found is the "fish eye" lens, however the imaging editor can repair/change that as well.
Dive
s a f e
Subscribed
ScubaCrab - 12/16/2013 11:36 AM
I have a sealife I bought 6 years ago hardly ever use it. Just a hastle to carry another piece of bulky gear! Borrowed my sons gopro silver 3+ made a mount for my lights goodmen handle do not even notice I am carrying anything extra awesome and easy to use!
Getting the gopro 3+ black for Christmas takes still pics while shooting video. Allso has a auto light dimming adjusted frame rate that should help underwater. There are a few companies making filters for uderwater color correction. Cool Cool Cool!!!
Subscribed
Stumpy - 6/10/2014 11:01 PM
Get the Gopro Hero Black camera. It does better in lower light conditions.