Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Finding and testing before buying
hansonb - 1/26/2008 8:10 AM
Category: Equipment
Replies: 9

I`ve been doing some research as I get ready to buy gear and I`m finding that many of the shops I have been dealing with are only sticking with their preferred equipment and aren`t very helpful with honest opinions about other gear. Wondering if anyone has any good references or advice for gear? One of my biggest concerns is that I am considering multiple brands of equipment to concurrent use. ScubaPro MK25 with a S600 and a R390 octo but I am also considering the Sherwood Wisdom 2 and a Zeagle Ranger BCD. Wondering if anyone knows of any compatibility issues between these three systems/brands? Any advice out there?
Jen-Michael - 1/26/2008 10:55 AM
If you want a Rec/Tec BCD why the Zeagle Ranger and not something more customizable like a Dive Rite Transpac or Transpac II? They`re about the same price.
scubadave - 1/27/2008 6:24 PM
There should not be any compatibility issues with that setup. I always try to get my hands on equipment and dive with it before buying it.
Damieon - 1/27/2008 7:58 PM
I am a Divemaster and have been diving for quite a few years,,lol. I have dove with quite a bit of differant equipment. I have finally found what works best for me. What is best for you may differ. I dive with a Sherwood Oasis first and second stage.Shadow plus octo. Use the Sherwood Wisdom Comp..."wich I love" and use a Zeagle Ranger BCD "wich I will never give up" ! So like I said thats what works for me... Damieon
jrock1062 - 1/27/2008 9:50 PM
I dive with the MK25\S600 and I love that reg (a little disclaimer I don`t ice dive and I don`t dive under 40 degrees) but it breaths like a charm hose routing is great and if you ask me I would bye the reg again the only thing is if your diving real cold I would go with the MK 17 G250V the 17 is sealed and the G250v has a metal barrel helps with freezing
Subscribed
hansonb - 1/28/2008 6:59 AM
I`ve also been looking at the Atomic B2 with the SS1 integrated octo. Does anyone use an Atomic setup? What can anyone tell me about the differences between the Dive Rite pacs and the Zeagle Ranger? My biggest problem has been finding a dive shop that will provide unbiased feedback or a shop that carries enough of the equipment so that I can try them on or test them out before I buy. Anyone with a suggestion for a dive shop with these options?
debay(Dee-Bay) - 1/28/2008 6:10 PM
BC- get what a) fits, b) whats comfortable c) whatever is going to grow with your diving. Beth pointed out several differences between the zeagels and back plate systems (diverite transpack) and she`s right. One could argue back and forth on several points, but it all comes down to this. What do YOU want? Most back inflate systems have the ability to grow with the diver through physical changes or changes in diving style. If you hang out at the shops long enough youll find someone who will let you try their gear. get in the water with it and see if its what you want. REGS- Ive seen all manner of mixes and matches for every conceived reason someone can muster up. Dont go cheap, and try not to go used. If you do go with used, ask if you can do a check out with them before you buy, and go straight to the dive shop to see if they are in good shape. The only real warning I have is about the trap I fell into. And thats the cool super cool looking universal directional octo. Dont go for the ultra weird stuff. if you want a good octo, just buy two of the same primary regs. a reg is a reg. if its good enough to breath off of most of the time, use it for a back up too. above all dont fall into the impulse buys and sales. my first BC was a crappy jacket that was supposed to be a lot of bang for the buck. I hated it. I could of saved those hundreds for 6 months and bought my back plate system and been all the happier. shop smart. for the record, I bought the Diverite because I got to wear one first. I couldnt find anyone to show me the zeagle ranger. It was #1 on my list but got bumped in light of the test. I have tried a black diamond though. aside from my diverite, its the most comfy BC i have ever worn.