Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Looking for middle weeks dive buddy in Alberta
Alumin12 - 4/28/2013 7:55 AM
Category: Buddy Wanted
Replies: 12

Hi, I´m new in Alberta and looking for someone who show me places to dive around. Usually have my days off in tue, wed, so should be someone who can guide me that days. I read about Twin lakes,Cold lake, Lake Minnewanka... I want dive us much as possible this summer so anybody on same wave?
thanks Ales
Scubagerl - 4/29/2013 5:44 PM
Hi Ales. I haven’t dived anywhere in AB since I tried the warm waters of the Caribbean. That would be 1998 approx. I’m not a cold diver unfortunately. When I did dive AB, I dived Lake Minnewanka as well as Waterton National Park (fun and scenic). Go to Adventures in Scuba site or The Dive Shop. They dive locally all the time. Good luck...k
RedSea_Lover - 4/29/2013 6:26 PM
Hi Ales, I have the same issue here :)) ... iam also new at Calgary, Alberta with no dive buddies :( ... iam also working on week ON / week OFF rotations ... iam used to dive in the warm, crystal clear waters of the Red Sea & Arabian gulf, but didn’t dive here in Alberta yet ... may be we can arrange some dives together ... of course after i get my PADI dry suit certificate this May :)))
Subscribed
Alumin12 - 4/30/2013 6:11 AM
Hello guys, everyone loves to dive in warm, clear, water... but I think, onece I´ve stuck here for a while, I wanna try cold water dives as well.... Have new 7mm cold water dive suite... so let me know, when you go out to dive and I will join you :-D
Ales
krimney - 4/30/2013 11:47 AM
While not new to Alberta, I have only been certified since 2011. I would like to meet some local buddies to dive with. Just got me a 7mm and am waiting for the ice to melt.
Subscribed
Alumin12 - 4/30/2013 1:55 PM
Oh, I got my certification in 2011 too, but I already know I want to continue in diving education. So If you are able to get out in middle of week, we can then dive together sometimes.... :-D
krimney - 4/30/2013 6:03 PM
Hi Ales,

Where in Alberta are you....it makes a bit of a difference. You mention Minnewanka and Cold Lake. They are about 8-9 hours drive between them, so if you are near one of them, the other is NOT a day trip. Alberta, especially in the mountians, is considered Altitude diving, so tables(if used ) must be adjusted accordingly.

Ken
krimney - 4/30/2013 6:06 PM
Just looked at your profile( still figuring out the site) and see you are in Edmonton, about half way between Minnewanka and Cold Lake. I am 3 hours south of you. There is a lake about a half hour west of Edmonton, it is called Hubbles lake, and there is diving there, as well as some underwater "attractions". I plan to dive there this summer.
RedSea_Lover - 4/30/2013 7:20 PM
How is the visibility there ( in Hubbles lake ) Ken ?
Subscribed
Alumin12 - 4/30/2013 7:36 PM
Hi Ken, I know the lakes are quite far from here but as you wrote, if we find some place in reasonable distance we can make some dive together for sure. I will try to google out the Hubbles lake. Know about Twins lake which should be hour and half from edmonton but probably longer from calgary. You can google some dive in twins lake on youtube. Anyway stay in touch some dive buddy is always welcome :-D
Ales
Subscribed
Alumin12 - 4/30/2013 8:06 PM
Anyway I did not meant to dive Minnewanka and Cold lake in one day... Just take it nicely in order :-D so If you have whole day just for one dive, then I think it could be possible to dive there. For altitude diving I can set up my dive computer ;-) that would be safetly than count dive table for me :-D
TrevorP - 5/29/2013 9:27 PM
Hi Ales. If you live in Edmonton try to get in touch with the Wing Divers club (see link). They do a lot of diving at Twin Lakes and a few other locations. Just so you know, Twin Lakes has a thermocline and the temperative is about 38F even in the summer. Vis is pretty low too. Lake Minnewanka actually is a fairly interesting dive. Otherwise most of the Alberta diving is cold, murky and there is not much to see. You can, however, do some very good diving on the B.C. coast, much of it on Vancouver Island. Good luck.

http://www.albertaunderwatercouncil.com/programs/club-develo...ing-diver-scuba-club-(edmonton).aspx
Subscribed
Brad00738 - 9/24/2014 12:10 AM
Any one diving in the Edmonton area