Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Ft. Lauderdale Florida or the Keys
Jake93 - 4/24/2013 9:22 PM
Category: Travel
Replies: 5

Considering doing some diving in Florida this summer and was wondering, if I could only go to one of these places, which one would you suggest?
Agojo - 4/25/2013 12:22 AM
Go to Ft. Lauderdale or better yet Pompano Beach (South Florida Diving Headquarters) about 20 miles north of Ft. Lauderdale. You can get 4 dives per day and gain a little more experience before going to Key West and stronger currents and a few more challenging dives.
PVK - 4/25/2013 4:39 AM
I second Pompano if you do try out www.southfloridadiving.com great people to dive with.There # is (974)783 2299
LatitudeAdjustment - 4/25/2013 4:51 AM
The two offer very different diving, SE Florida is drift diving over both wrecks and reefs. FLL and Miami have some wrecks and artificial reefs you can tie on to.

Key West is shallow reefs and artificial reefs like the Vandy
Agojo - 4/25/2013 1:55 PM
Key West the Vandy main deck is 100’ and can have very strong currents much of the time. The reef diving I’ve done in key West is also at anchor in strong currents therefore you must swim some against the current and navigate back to the mooring line of the boat which if you have little experience would probably not be a good idea. South Florida Diving Headquarters will moor on an artificial reef for first dive then a drift where groups of 2-3 are staggered as put in and your small group has a flag and picked up at specified time or air remaining time (relaxing and very enjoyable). If you use SFDH website you can see what dives are planned for what days and sign up accordingly. Have fun!
malibu - 4/30/2013 10:35 AM
Key Largo is supposed to be the best diving in the US and is alot closer to Key West than Lauderdale or Pompano if you are driving.