Low Profile Mouthpiece
dontdiveenuf - 3/29/2013 2:47 PM
Category: General
Replies: 7

Has anyone found a good ’low-profile’ mouthpiece for their reg? As I look at photos of diver’s faces, I’m struck by how distorted our faces are by the fact that we have to hold that dental appliance to survive. Wouldn’t it be nice if someone came up with an inexpensive alternative that wasn’t a full-face unit?
Green_Achers - 3/29/2013 4:27 PM
One problem with making the mouthpiece smaller would be that the pressure would have to be increased in order to supply the same volume of air with each breath. I’d think you’d then have two new problems: Needing to distribute the air blasts and freezing peoples lips (due to the pressure drop).

I agree that there is room for improvement on scuba regulators. I doubt any alternative would be inexpensive - which may be the reason they haven’t improved them since 1942.
Subscribed
dontdiveenuf - 3/29/2013 6:36 PM
Good point - I didn’t consider the physics, only the cosmetics! :-)

Still, a boy can dream, right? Like, how about a mask that works like ’google-glasses:’ not only displaying all of your critical info from your dive computer, but also with something that focus’ on the marine life and offers little pop-up flora and fauna id briefs, along with picture-taking capability? So you can tell if you’re being attacked by a great white or an oceanic white-tip without all of that bothersome book-learning and memorization!
LatitudeAdjustment - 3/30/2013 10:15 AM
"Wouldn’t it be nice if someone came up with an inexpensive alternative that wasn’t a full-face unit?"

Having had a few bite tabs break over the years having to hold the reg in my mouth for the return swim is not my idea of fun!

I’ve gone the other route and use a SeaCure which is not inexpensive but fills the mouth and probably wouldn’t come out if I passed out but you don’t need to bite on it the whole dive either.
Subscribed
Rich-D-Fish - 3/30/2013 9:08 PM
YES! My wife had the same problem and we found one that she loves. It’s the "comfo" mouthpiece by Aqualung. She uses an aqualung snorkel for this reason, and even switched our her mouthpieces on her Atomic B2 Regulator and SS1 Alt air source. There isn’t a picture of one on the website , but here is a cheap price on them: http://www.leisurepro.com/Catalog.aspx?op=ItemDisplay&Pr...mouthpiece&Hit=1

To see a photo just google "Aqualung comfo bite mouthpiece"
Subscribed
dontdiveenuf - 4/01/2013 7:06 AM
Thanks for the suggestions of SeaCure and Comfo - I’ll have to give one of them a try. Much obliged!
Subscribed
Scuba-Smurf - 6/18/2013 7:45 AM
I also use this and it’s great! I use it on the Aqualung Legend and love it :)
Subscribed
Scuba-Smurf - 6/18/2013 7:47 AM
I also use this Aqulaung Comfo Bite Mouthpiece and it’s great! I use it on the Aqualung Legend and love it :)