Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Best airplane travel practices?
PugetDiver - 3/11/2013 8:42 PM
Category: Travel
Replies: 9

I am looking for information on how to transport my gear on an international flight. This is my first trip to a foreign country to dive; I am considering taking my reg and BC and skin in my carry-on luggage, so if my checked luggage gets lost then I will still have the critical gear and can buy or rent the remainder.

I am a total newbie to traveling via airplane (and internationally) with my gear and would appreciate any tips or advice or links online to information, along these lines. Also any insurance tips for ones gear is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Steven
LatitudeAdjustment - 3/12/2013 4:52 AM
Good plan, you want all of your critical stuff, mask, reg, computer in your carry-on along with one days change of underwear just in case your checked bag gets off at a different stop or like I’ve seen in some places where the connecting flight is a smaller plane and some luggage goes on a latter flight. A regular thing if you are flying to Utila!
Green_Achers - 3/12/2013 6:56 AM
I’ve read (and agree) to never check-in your reg/computer unless you’ve first kissed it goodbye. That includes the return lap.
WarmWaterTurner - 3/12/2013 8:34 AM
We carry on the regs, computers and camera equipment. Everything else goes in the dive bag as checked. So far - never had a problem.
RAWalker - 3/12/2013 2:24 PM
I fit all the smaller items Mask, boots, hood, gloves, regs, dive computers, Photo outfit and PC with it’s accessories between my maximum allowable sized roller carry on and PC backpack. The pack is accepted as my personal item as it fits under the seat. My BC, wetsuit and fins go into a checked large roller duffle which can actually fit 2 sets (when traveling with my wife) if not clothes fill it to capacity.
m_grieco - 3/12/2013 4:28 PM
I have an XS Scuba mesh dive bag (http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/XSSBDMBP.html?&&) and I can fit ALL my gear in there (I have a Cressi Travelite BCD, Cressi Reaction Fins, wetsuit, boots, and entire setup of reg., octo., computer, and first stage which I put in the main part of the bag) and in the back pouch I can fit my mask, and critical parts (o-rings, extra batteries for my computer, fin straps and buckles, etc.). I have not had any issues thus far with it, and have used it going to Egypt, Grand Cayman, and most recently Hawaii (which domestically gave me the hardest time...bottom line is I got it on the plane). The flights I was on last time weren’t that full, so I was able to put it right in the overhead bin, but when I went to Hawaii, I actually squeezed in under my seat. It was cramped, but I liked knowing I was the only one handling my gear. I’m also a photographer, so my "official" suitcase carry on consists of my camera, strobes, and laptop (along with a bathing suit and t-shirt incase my luggage gets lost)...worst case is I’ll arrive in my destination without extra clothing which could easily be purchased if necessary.
madlobster - 3/13/2013 8:25 AM
Pretty much what the others have said, carry on the reg, comp, camera, and stow the rest.......Look into D.E.P.P. for insurance or D.A.N. DEPP does or did cover accidental flooding, I don’t think DAN does.
John_giu - 3/14/2013 3:25 PM
If you have to leave the underwear out!

Get all the dive stuff in LOL.

I get everything including a Mares back inflate BC, .5mil skin regs and computers in a 16" roll on.

Under size and weight limits.

they can loose the dress clothes and fins in the checked, I’ll just go on a night dive.

I like the Samsonite X-space luggage.
ScubaDreaminn - 3/19/2013 5:25 AM
The wife and I use these backpacks, http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/17021.htm?color=9600 , and are able to get everything in them (stainless steel BP/W, reg set, computer, mask, booties, Full 5 mil wetty, gloves). Well everything minus fins and had no problems carrying on and fitting in the overhead bay. I suppose it comes down to what is priority for you. I once flew to Oahu with no clothes other than my shorts, shirt and flip flops that i was wearing. The next day I bicycled to the Local Goodwill and outfitted myself for the week for $10 bucks. It’s all about Priorities...lol
oceanfloor - 3/24/2013 5:38 PM
Same here, my prescription mask, computer, regs, and dive log with me. Everything else is checked in. I take it all except tanks of course. I’ve stopped taking a wetsuit and just use a dive skin now.