Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Husband and Wife from San Jose Died
Green_Achers - 2/25/2013 9:43 AM
Category: Health & Safety
Replies: 7

Sadly, I read a husband and wife divers died at Point Lobos on Friday. Not many details as of yet but they were from San Jose and rough seas may be a factor said one report.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/scuba-divers-die-off-califs-monterey-coast-18575738
Subscribed
Greg - 2/25/2013 10:28 AM
Pretty sad indeed. I am anxious to hear more about what happened.
dontdiveenuf - 2/25/2013 12:48 PM
Wouldn’t be at all surprised if it was rough water ... that area can be really nasty; I’ve never dived it myself but just looking at it a few times (when I was living in the area) gave me second thoughts.
Subscribed
Green_Achers - 2/25/2013 4:33 PM
From dontdiveenuf: Wouldn’t be at all surprised if it was rough water ... that area can be really nasty; I’ve never dived it myself but just looking at it a few times (when I was living in the area) gave me second thoughts....

And to make that possibility
worse... we dove it the previous Friday (2/15/13) and the conditions
where perfect. I even hesitated to say we had any wave nor surge.

Here’s the latest news...

-

CARMEL, Calif. —Two ocean divers died after they were pulled from Whalers Cove in Point Lobos State Reserve south of Carmel on Friday.

The divers were identified Monday as a husband and wife from San Jose: Volodymyr Butsky, 40, and Marina Butsky, 41.

A
family member had been waiting on shore for the divers to return and
alerted a Point Lobos park employee at 2:30 p.m., a State Parks Monterey
Sector Superintendent said.

Other
divers had already pulled Marina Butsky back to shore when CalFire
firefighters arrived, and her husband was still in the ocean. A search
and rescue team launched a boat to reach Volodymyr Butsky at 3 p.m.

Both
divers were unconscious while they were being transported to a Monterey
hospital. Volodymyr Butsky and Marina Butsky were declared dead at the
hospital, the park superintendent said.

The divers’ causes of death were unknown on Monday because a Monterey County Sheriff’s Coroner had not completed autopsies.

State
parks officials said Whaler’s Cove is not considered a challenging spot
for scuba diving and they did not know what caused the couple to become
distressed.

Read more: http://www.ksbw.com/news/central-california/monterey/2-dead-Point-Lobos-scuba-divers-identified/-/5738820/19079368/-/fipo75/-/index.html#ixzz2LxMIH3bX
Subscribed
Green_Achers - 2/26/2013 9:03 AM
I see they were no strangers to Point Lobos...
see their Flicker Album.
Gregihpil - 3/01/2013 6:07 AM
I can attest to the current .I just returned from diving in the Jaco, Herradura Beach area & Quepos to the south.I was disappointed in seeing any Manatas or any peligics.To my surprise there was thermoclines.Vis was in some areas 20 to 40’.Felt like midwest diving..:( As most of the divers there and DM’s from states had remarked to me."If you’ve been diving in the Carribean,your spoiled".

I did manage to get some shots of my 1st Nudibranch and a Emporer Angel. Some very colorful, Yellows & Dk purples) Puffers,unlike the colors found in the Carribean. Some neat Star fish or Sea stars.BTW, What is correct to say ?And a couple of Nurse sharks..Thats it..

It’s always a sad day to hear about divers in this manner.
Subscribed
Paul_W - 3/03/2013 9:42 PM
I have been diving at Point Lobos and it can be very cold because you are so close to Monterey Canyon and you get the cold water upwelling. With that said, Whalers cove is just that, a cove, and therefore pretty well protected from the waves and surf. Who knows what happened to these folks. It is sad for sure. I would really like to know what happened because I am a PADI instructor and anything I can pass on to my students to keep them safer is invaluable to me.
Subscribed
Green_Achers - 4/10/2013 5:04 PM
Still no cause of death report? It’s going on two months.