Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

OceanWings by Aqualung - Underwater Human Flight
Greg - 2/13/2013 1:01 PM
Category: Free Diving
Replies: 7

Not sure if I like this idea or not, but it does seem cool. I think it would create more drag in the water and slow you down. Neat concept - don’t stop dreaming! What do you free divers think of this?

Video of OceanWings by Aqualung

WarmWaterTurner - 2/13/2013 1:34 PM
I guess I could see a point where if you had your trim just right as you descended you could "fly" without finning. I guess someone will buy it. Its not for me.
Waverunner - 2/13/2013 2:07 PM
I can’t see it unless you put some type of propulsion to it. Looks to restricting for movement in an emergency. I’ll let someone else buy and try
Subscribed
Greg - 2/13/2013 2:35 PM
I wonder how high you can lift your arms with this suit on.
Eric_R - 2/14/2013 4:44 AM
Here’s a video of the suit being used.
http://youtu.be/zj743gsiuFI
Subscribed
JasonP - 10/23/2013 4:47 PM
Well, it presumably goes DOWN really well. In Freediving, GETTING BACK UP is by far the most important part. I don’t like the reliance on the buoyancy bag. Just a complication that provides an opportunity for failure and catastrophe.

My assessment:

1. it goes against the essence of freediving, which is simplicity and purity (not talking about No Limits here, which is mostly an academic exercise)

2. it doesn’t look very maneuverable, so you’d probably better have your route planned out

3. the one merit it does have is no or little effort, which means much less oxygen consumption and more time at depth

4. freeing the arm is conspicuously absent from the video; probably left out because it’s a royal pain in the rear to do

5. cool idea; major points to the guys for creativity and the pioneering spirit to try new things
Subscribed
ScubaCrab - 10/24/2013 4:08 AM
I am not a free diver but with my scuba experience I do not see where he would get the momentum to glide at the speed shown without being very negative in his bouyancy? Was the video sped up? Seams impractical. Cool looking for a James Bond movie! But do not see how it would work in the real world? How pricy is this gimmick?
Subscribed
JasonP - 10/24/2013 11:09 AM
You’d have to be pretty overweighted by anyone’s standards to keep a shallow glide and get any speed. If the suit is fabric, there’s no help from suit compressibilty to go negatively buoyant, so you’d have to start out negative or swim down, then zip the sleeve webbing in. Sounds like a lot of trouble for not much benefit to me.