Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Weird Picture
Paul50 - 10/08/2012 12:08 PM
Category: General
Replies: 10

Hi everyone, I have recently just come back from Lanzarote on a ten day holiday with the long suffering wife who doesn`t dive so was only able to dive a total of 4 days as apparently I was a selfish ~~~~~~

Anyway while on my selfish quest for interesting photos I came across the Ray which did a 360 around our team before coming to rest again so I snapped away, I only realised the weird protrusion which looks as if it is actually coming from between two folds of flap/skin at the rear & I would be grateful to know what it might be, any ideas???

By the way I dived with a really good team of 90% crazy Germans as well as 10% Welsh crazies with the group from Diveoon in Costa Teguise in Lanzarote, very proffessional & we had some great dives as well as a load of laughs along the way so if you are ever in Lanzarote please look up Goertze, Michi, Franze & Glyn at Diveoon, many a laugh had along the way as well as being welcomed througout the week, my non diving wife was also very impressed with them & she was invited personnaly by them on a non paying day trip out more or less every day, but she almost always refused until our last dives at Carmen del Playa, then she finally had some realisation of the comaraderie felt by us all but was still to scared to take the plunge, one day maybe???

LatitudeAdjustment - 10/08/2012 4:26 PM
Are you talking about this photo of the ray with the remora you posted in photos?
Subscribed
Paul50 - 10/09/2012 2:14 AM
Hi, I can see why you would think that, but if you enlarge it & look closely you will see that it looks nothing like what your describing as it doesn`t appear to have any gills or fins plus the Remora usually clings to the body not inside, surely somebody must have an idea to what it is, any Marine Bioligists out there???
mikey1077 - 10/13/2012 8:53 AM
The picture is a bit fuzzy did you happen to notice any physical features on it? If no gills maybe something that would look like a series of holes down the side near where the gills should be?
Subscribed
Paul50 - 10/13/2012 12:48 PM
No Mate, I didn`t even notice this until I arrived home & transfered it to my pc & zoomed in.I have put before & after pictures up with no sign of the protrusion, apperantly they give birth to live pups so I was wondering if anyone out there could put this querie to bed as I am wondering what the blazes this is???

Help, anyone????
mikey1077 - 10/14/2012 10:11 AM
http://m.youtube.com/?reason=8&rdm=8481#/watch?v=BGWir0Ui7Xw&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DBGWir0Ui7Xw

I found a video of a baby stingray being born
Scuba-Smurf - 10/14/2012 12:36 PM
http://www.reptaquatics.com/userfiles/image/howto/stingray%20ill%20001.JPG
Reproductive organs... Maybe
Subscribed
Paul50 - 10/15/2012 12:30 AM
Hi all, I really don`t know, but if that si the case is the male`s thingy pre-hensile as it looks to have a mind of it`s own?

This is giving me sleepless nights now as I am having strange dreams & the other thing is out of our little bunch of divers on the day only 1 other had a camera & he was a novice diver who got so excited that he started to completely lose control of his bouyancy so started shooting to the surface!!! He had to be dragged back down by the guide/instructor so didn`t get any shots, typical.

I think we need an answer from one of the worlds leading Marine bIoligists, anybody know one who this could be forwarded on too.I could e-mail the shots from initial take off until that appears then disappears again if that would help?

But hey, thanks any way as who knows we might even stumble on the right answer if we keep on at the querie, so keep them coming.

Thanks Paul.
Scuba-Smurf - 10/18/2012 12:08 PM
I’ll forward it on to the Emirates Dive Association Marine Biologist and see what they say :)
Subscribed
Paul50 - 10/19/2012 12:07 AM
That would be great, I`d love to put this to bed.

Many thanks Paul.
Subscribed
Paul50 - 10/25/2012 11:16 AM
Hi ya Scuba Smurf any news from the people in the Emirates???