Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Key West updates, please
SeaGoat - 8/28/2012 7:22 AM
Category: Travel
Replies: 7

My buddy and I booked a dive trip to Key West for this weekend. I can’t get a refund on our hotel so cancellation is not an option.

Would it be worthwhile for us to bring our dive gear? Or is the vis going to be so poor that we should resign ourselves to drinking and doing touristy stuff?

I’d love to get some recent local input. I’m going to call the dive operator anyways but we all know how they tend to sugarcoat things.
LatitudeAdjustment - 8/28/2012 10:10 AM
The Spree which goes out of Key West/Stock Island posted on FB that they are back up and running but Frank didn’t mention the viz.
Subscribed
SeaGoat - 8/28/2012 3:39 PM
Yeah....so I’m a pretty firm believer in Murphy’s Law. In actuality, the viz will probably be crappy but I know that the one time I don’t bring my gear, the water will be crystal clear and full of all of the interesting animals I’ve yet to see.
rsh110 - 9/05/2012 1:57 PM
so anyway did ya go diving how was the viz? I am going down next week I am thinking of calling the dive shop and trying to reserve a spot to dive the Vandenburg. Just wondering about the Viz to see if it is worth going now or waiting till the end of October.
Subscribed
SeaGoat - 9/06/2012 1:38 AM
So I went diving once at the Vandenberg - the vis was only 20-25 feet but it is probably my new favorite wreck. (I kind of regret not getting a guide. There is just too much to see.)

Everyone was reporting about 10 feet of vis at the reef so I didn’t bother going on that trip. I can get similar conditions a few minutes from home for free.
LatitudeAdjustment - 9/07/2012 4:36 AM
From SeaGoat: So I went diving once at the Vandenberg - the vis was only 20-25 feet but it is probably my new favorite wreck. (I kind of regret not getting a guide. There is just too much to see.) Everyone was reporting about 10 feet of vis at the reef so I didn’t bother going on that trip. I can get similar conditions a few minutes from home for free....
That’s a pretty big boat to only see 20’ at a time! Thanks for the report.