Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Taking my mask off – SUCCESS!
Rochelle - 8/23/2012 11:18 AM
Category: New Diver Q&A
Replies: 13

I would like to extend my deepest appreciation to everyone in this forum for their words of encouragement and advice. You can’t begin to imagine what a difference your input has made.
When I was 6, my swim teacher threw a nose-clip on my face and proceeded with the lesson. I’ve NEVER been able to put my face in the water without physically holding my nose close. When I failed the mask removal test in the pool, I figured my scuba future was over, so I turned to this forum for advice as a last ditch effort.
I took all the advice from this forum, and consolidated it into a to-do list. Baby steps started with sitting in the tub, holding my breath and simply putting only my nose in the water. This one small step, led to 3 weeks of more baby steps; including reading articles and watching videos recommended by this forum.
Last Tuesday, my 46-year old fear was confronted as I completed my open-water dives and took off my mask at 20ft! My Dive Masters were with me every step of the way, without them by my side and their ability to radiate calm and peace, my dream to become OW certified would never have been realized.
Teaching someone the techniques of scuba diving is noble; teaching someone how to overcome fear is priceless! To all my forum dive buddys, and especially to all current and future dive masters – I thank you from the bottom of my heart.
Subscribed
Scuba-Smurf - 8/23/2012 11:44 AM
FANTASTIC!!! I can imagine your joy! Well done! I’m so excited at the thought of you now being able to confidently and safely explore the underwater world :oD

If you ever pass by the Middle East, give me a shout and we’ll go diving!
diverray - 8/23/2012 1:10 PM
Congratulations! Remember to practice this skill occasionally, even when you don’t need to. Happy diving.
jshoemaker_1 - 8/23/2012 1:25 PM
Congrats and good job. IMO you hardly ever hear from people after the fact. Thanks for sharing.
SeaGoat - 8/23/2012 1:53 PM
Congratulations, Rochelle! I knew you could do it. Drop me a line if you are ever down on the Gulf coast.
Eric_R - 8/23/2012 6:11 PM
Nice job Rochelle! When I got certified along with a long time friend she struggled as you did. We did all the things suggested but it was persistence that eventually paid off. Welcome to the underwater world!
MaryW - 8/23/2012 7:20 PM
congrats, Rochelle! I struggled with that too when I did my OW. Now I need to go back and read all the advice you got!
Rich-D-Fish - 8/24/2012 6:48 AM
Yeah!
WarmWaterTurner - 8/24/2012 10:46 AM
Welcome to the club - DIVER!
mikey1077 - 8/26/2012 5:58 AM
good job!!!