Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Iberostar Cancun
John_giu - 6/09/2012 8:04 PM
Category: Travel
Replies: 6

As it turns-out we will be going to the Iberostar Cancun.

I will likely get one dive day in due to activities with the family.

Any opinions on using the on-site dive op. Dressel Divers? They have been panned quite a few times on trip adviser.

Should I look for a boat going to Cozumel? What is the MUST DO dive?

I would like to take the easy dive from the hotel if all the dive operators are about even.

Finally, Is there a must use local dive operator?

Thanks

John
Subscribed
Rich-D-Fish - 6/10/2012 8:22 PM
I recently came back from my second Cancun trip where I got some diving in. Last year we used Solo Buceo, and we were less than satisfied. They crammed too many divers into a junky small wooden boat with no sun shade. This year I researched more and found Mayan Aqua Divers, and we were very happy. Smaller group on a "real" dive boat with sun cover. The guides were top notch. Really enjoyed the only local wreck of the C-58 minesweeper. Where some other dive shop had a group holding onto a line in a current getting swamped, our guide drift dove us to calmer water where we just free floated to our waiting boat. I’m sure others are good as well. But I am happy enough with M.A.D. to repeat next time. They will pickup and deliver to any hotel for free as well. Here is a link to my video from the latest trip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8ZvUXrWipo Have fun!

Rich
Subscribed
John_giu - 6/11/2012 6:55 AM
Thanks Rich!

That exactly the information I was looking for. At the very least I want to avoid the cattle drive that people have complained about with Dressel Divers. I can have a bad dive in New Jersey any time any only drive an hour for it.

John
Subscribed
bronxdiver - 6/14/2012 6:49 PM
I was in Cancun last year and used Scuba Fred he is located in down town Cancun near Daddy O and Coco Bongos. Small boat with shade. Avoid Aqua world they are cattle boats. Have used Scuba Fred past 2 times in Cancun and you get good bottom time on all dives, the divemasters are great. Hope this helps
Subscribed
John_giu - 6/15/2012 3:56 AM
Thanks Bronx,

I am checking out a few with good reviews on tripadvisor. Fred got panned on a few reviews there but I might have to give them a look based on your experience. Scorpio Divers seems to be pretty accommodating with free pick-up and a four tank one day dive. I am waiting to hear back from them to see if they do dock pick-up or by car.

I’m trying to get the most out of limited time.

J.G.
Subscribed
bdmyers - 10/15/2013 8:43 AM
I’m planning a trip for first week in December. Iberostar looks good as we are taking some non-divers and want them entertained too. What is included in the All Inclusive? John how was your trip?
Subscribed
John_giu - 10/15/2013 4:09 PM
BD,

All inclusive is room and meals and I think some of the no motor water sports.

The hotel was fine the people polite and accommodating. The food was good for the most part.

There are buffet and sit down style restaurants. I found one of the finer restaurants quite good but don’t remember the name. The golf course is a short walk and connected to the hotel through a path, I don’t golf but our son enjoyed playing the course. There are tours through Apple Vacations to the Mayan ruins in the lobby. Did I mention my wife won a Apple Vacation through a local radio station?

There is a small unimpressive lounge most of the night life is off site. Since it was a family vacation we did not do the night life so I have no opinion on that. From what I have read it’s some sort of hustle where you hire a guide and pay some sort of flat rate to bar hop. Really I’d rather dive, drink for free on the beach, and take it some local tours. I can bar hop and shoot pool with my son in Philly for a lot less money. :-0

Objectively, it seems to me Cancun caters to the Mexican Nationals. Cozumel is more for The American tourists, and the diving is much better.

As for SCUBA, I wanted to dive Cozumel and did a lot of leg work trying to get there. In most cases you have to make you way to Playa and take a ferry to Cozumel.

I contacted Scorpio Divers in Cancun. They stood on their heads to give me great service. They sent a van to Iberostar a drove me to Playa were I boarder a boat ran by Dive Balam. No Ferry ride, the boat took us right to Cozumel

dive sites. See my review here >http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g150812-d2423227-...catan_Peninsula.html

We dove Cedral, and The Devil’s Throat. If you like drift dives this is a wild ride, going a little heavy will get you down on the reef. It’s a faster drift then a Florida dive and pretty close to flying. I would say it’s worth the time even if you can only get in one day of diving.

Scorpio Divers dive Cancun, The Cenotes and Cozumel. I would highly recommend them.

There was a problem with his credit card machine so he trusted me to pay him when I returned to the states.

I actually had to chase him down to pay him

Hope this helps, enjoy the diving!