Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

What hooka diving system have you used?
Greg - 5/18/2012 9:27 AM
Category: Equipment
Replies: 3

What type of surface supplied air device have you used and what did you like/dislike about it? And why do they call it "hooka"? Is it harder to breathe from if your at 30 feet underwater?
LatitudeAdjustment - 5/18/2012 10:06 AM
Not hookah per say, my first octopus was a long hose on an old in 1971 Aqua-Lung Bakelite second stage, no it wasn’t US Divers! The commercial diver who sold it to me would leave the tank on deck while scrubbing the bottom or changing zincs. It was difficult to breath but that was the reg, not the long hose!
divershaun - 5/19/2012 8:03 AM
took a KM37 helmet to 130ft off an LCU. It was surface supplied with an ASRA (air supply rack assembly) run through the mixed gas console belonging to MDSU-2. That was on air. also took it down to 80ft on HeO2 for training. I have also taken the MK21 (helmet that is being replaced by the km37) and the mk20 ffm down. all surface supplied. i like everything about it, as long as i have competent divers running the the console, and as my tenders, lol.

hopefully one of those links below will work lol.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

View My Video

Original Video - More videos at TinyPic
RichKeller - 7/04/2012 8:45 AM
I spliced 50’ of hose between the 1st & 2nd stages and added a life line to make an umbilical. I use this to dive surface supplied from a kayak off a scuba tank.

file://localhost/Users/richdebb/Pictures/iPhoto%20Library/Originals/2010/Feb%2013,%202010/IMG_0545.jpg