Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

I miss my buddy
Anonymous - 5/16/2012 11:58 AM
Category: Anonymous
Replies: 8

I used to have the best dive buddy in the world. His first name is John. We met through another SCUBA site where I am no longer a member. John was the best buddy because he was up for just about any kind of dive but he wasn’t cocky and respected that I knew my limits. He had great buddy communication skills and was very perceptive. When we were diving it was like he knew what I was thinking. Like sometimes I’d be a little freaked out in low vis. and I could tell he knew and he’d do everything he could to reassure me and we’d have a great dive. Ok, one time he threw a dead horseshoe crab at me in low vis. and I wanted to cut his air off after I got done hyperventilating, but other than that he could do no wrong as a buddy. He was also a great friend.

Despite being the most awesome dive buddy in the world and a great friend, John was unlucky in love and he basically let a woman come between us, which is stupid because even though I don’t like this woman I was mostly ok with him liking her. It was her that convinced him not to be friends with me any more. John is no longer seeing this woman, in fact it’s been years. I’m not even remotely mad about him just cutting off all communication with me while he was seeing her. I’ve tried sending him messages every now and again and tried to keep up with his career without being a creepy stalker. I’ve tried messaging him on facebook, but I don’t know how often he uses it and I actually deleted my account this year from lack of use. I just want my friend back, even if I live to far away now for us to be dive buddies.
Anonymous - 5/16/2012 2:24 PM
Wow, interesting topic. Sorry for your loss I guess? That sucks that anyone can come between a person and a friend. Nothing should stop buddies from scuba diving. Unless you’re a hot female and the new lady didn’t like "John" hanging around you.

I’m sure you’ll find lots of new buddies here. Just keep chatting with others and try to plan some dive trips. Good luck!
Anonymous - 5/16/2012 2:47 PM
Female, yes, hot NO (very androgynous and not afraid to farmer blow in front of my buddy or discuss wetsuit peeing, very much "one of the guys"), younger and thinner maybe but who cares?rolling eyesI was seeing another diver at the time who is now my husband, and is an awful buddy just for reference :-p I’ve been a member here for four years and have yet to meet a John-comparable buddy.
Anonymous - 5/16/2012 7:47 PM
I lost one due to a female too, he kept saying he could dive then last minute she would say no. I miss my dive buddy also but have moved on a nd interveiwed a couple of others.
Anonymous - 5/22/2012 7:04 PM
I had an awesome buddy/travel companion too, she moved over the reef at about the same pace and with the same air consumption. While I was taking pictures she would touch my arm, hand or leg to let me know where she was and sometimes to indicate which way she wanted me to go next as she was a excellent critter finder. Some other divers including wreckwench here at DB tried to mimic that touch but I knew it wasn’t her.
Although she didn’t want me as anything more than a friend she showed signs of jealousy (I heard this from others) when another woman would give me a hug and/or kiss. So when I did find someone that was the end of that freind and divebuddy relationship, I couldn’t risk that jealousy upsetting my marriage!
Anonymous - 5/30/2012 10:42 AM
Yeah I know I should move on and find a new buddy. I am getting to know some people around here better and I’ve had other buddies since John but it was never the same, even though they are all good divers. The group I used to dive with most of the time is basically a bunch of solo divers doing a group dive. That’s ok with me but diving with John was more fun. I seriously doubt John is married, although he may be dating some other harpy. John likes women who walk all over him. He and my husband know each other and are cool with each other. I wish he hadn’t changed his email address because I’d tell him I don’t care about all that crap, let’s go diving next time he is down here on vacation! We’d tear this place up, even if it was just when he had time!
Anonymous - 6/07/2012 9:58 AM
I think I may just give up on buddy diving. It seems that the way I was taught to buddy dive 15 years ago hasn’t been taught in a long time. I have a couple of other lifestyle choices and hobbies (licensed to carry a concealed weapon and wilderness survival) that force you to be 100% responsible for yourself 100% of the time and also demand keen situational awareness and that you have practiced/rehearsed/prepared for the worst. I think this is a philosophy I could carry over to diving by 1.) working on my basic water comfort and skills by having a lot of pool and ocean swimming time 2.) working on my basic SCUBA skills in the pool under the supervision of my husband, who doesn’t "do" buddy diving (partially because he is foolish and partially because he has excellent in-water comfort and skills) I can horizontal-CESA, mask remove and clear, don-and-doff my rig, and regulator recover quite happily by myself and he can fish me out if I actually needed it, which I should not 3.) take a solo diving course and then I can just dive with my husband as a nice together activitity but not as a "buddy team" and we will basically be in the water at the same time to use each other as a back-up air source in case of catastrophic gear malfunction/evacuation to the surface in case of random unconsciousness.
Anonymous - 7/31/2014 4:21 PM
This sounds like a buddy-team on the rocks in shallow water. If it eats your coconut, find him, have your say, and move on to a new dive partner who likes the same dive style. I see this post is old, but it was kind of touching ...