Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

It’s spring in the NE
LatitudeAdjustment - 4/18/2012 8:32 AM
Category: Training
Replies: 3

And for some of us who haven’t been on any winter dive trips it’s time to practice our skills before heading out to deeper waters.

Some go to Dutch or Willow Springs but for me there are some nice inlet dives a lot closer.

Before even getting wet go over your buddies gear,

How do you release their weights?

Where is their knife/shears?

How do you inflate/deflate their wing/BC and drysuit?

Check the drysuit zipper, no a 1/4 way back like on the K-valve is not a good idea! That’s not even accepted as a good idea on the tank valve anymore.

Gas management, if you need to open or close a valve, which way may seem like a dumb question but if they are wearing independent doubles with both valves facing out someone, even DM’s and deckhands have been known to turn off a divers air as they step off the boat! Remember, look at the valve knob and think, righty tighty, lefty losey!

H-valve or Y-valves? if you are not familiar with these now is the time to ask questions.

Air sharing, 2nd., long hose, combo or pony? What do they want you to go for? Many pressurize the pony reg and then turn it off, will you need to turn it on, yes or no? If they are carrying pony AND deco bottles know which one is hanging where so you don’t take o2 at depth!

When practicing skills sign other divers that you are okay. WreckWench here once took flak on another forum for spending almost the entire dive on some guys long hose. He had 5 tanks so it’s not like they were going to run out of gas but everyone kept signing for them to go up.

Mark from Nazareth PA wrote in another thread:

Another important skill to practice is monitoring your gas source. Also, practice switching to your secondary gas source (pony, buddy’s reg, etc.) All of these skills will allow you to make a nice controlled ascent. Once at the surface, just orally inflate, or if you still can’t stay afloat for some reason then drop your weights at the surface (try not to drop them on another diver’s head below). This should be an absolute last resort.

As for checking everything ahead of the dive, I’m all for it. If your regs & BC are working properly and your buddy’s are too (and especially if you both have your own gas redundancy and the ability to share each others), there should be no reason to ever get in a situation where you feel the need to "dump" weight and rocket to the surface.
Greg - 4/18/2012 9:52 AM
And make sure to have some spare o-rings, silicone, straps, etc.
MDW - 4/19/2012 1:19 PM
Thanks for the quotation. I think this is the first time anyone found my words valuable enough to repeat (or at least the first I’ve actually seen it happen).

I’d also like to add that when one of your buddies pukes in her regulator (twice), it’s time to call the dive (duh). Moreover, if you are the one who is sick, please thumb the dive. This weekend, this actually happened, and after the first spew, the ill diver signalled "I" (points at self) "am going to surface now" (points to surface). I would have preferred a "dive is over, all three of us are exiting right now" (thumb up). Luckily nothing bad happened, but we didn’t even know about the vomit until we were all on dry land. The moral is: communicate, communicate effectively, and don’t be afraid to end the dive for everyone if you are starting to get in a situation that could get very bad very quickly. Being overly considerate of your dive buddy’s desire to complete the dive could be putting your life at higher risk.

With respect to valve on/off issue, I like to adhere to the following policy:
A) always check your valves are all on (or the way you want them - like stage pressurized but off) before donning your tanks and again right before you go under (with your hand and/or by breathing each reg a few times).
B) NEVER let a deck hand / dive master or anyone who is not you touch your valves, especially when you are about to go underwater, and especially after you’ve already done your last-minute valve check for yourself.
C) if you can’t reach your own valves to turn them off or on, you NEED to rearrange your gear such that you can. This enables the implementation of guidelines A and B and enables you to better deal with any valve-related issues that may arise mid-dive (roll-off, leaky valve, leaky 1st stage, free flow, etc).
Subscribed
LatitudeAdjustment - 4/20/2012 6:16 AM
"I’d also like to add that when one of your buddies pukes in her regulator (twice), it’s time to call the dive (duh). Moreover, if you are the one who is sick, please thumb the dive. " Now for a photographer someone feeding the fish is a photo op, :)

Yes follow them up to the boat, I’ve heard too many stories of divers ending the dive and starting up never to arrive at the surface.