Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Is diving an activity for anyone?
millertime24 - 3/11/2012 5:04 PM
Category: Health & Safety
Replies: 11

Hope this is the right forum for this.

Today I was diving Vortex Springs. On my second dive I was putting my fins on at the dock and applying my de-fog to my mask. There was another diver there and I asked her how her diving was going. She said she was having problems clearing her mask. I offered her some of what works for me and demonstrated it several times under water (about 10’), but every time she tried to complete the task she freaked out and surfaced. After a bit she was able to clear her mask, but not consistantly (sometimes she’d do it and other times she’d surface).

Obviously she found herself in a threatening environment and wasn’t able to take deep, slow breaths through the reg to stay calm. My question is SCUBA for everyone? Another school of thought I had was, why not go deeper where the safety blanket of the surface isnt there? Any thought would be appreciated.

>>Disclaimer[[ I was just a fellow diver trying to help out another would be diver. I have no instructor ratings.
SeaGoat - 3/11/2012 6:59 PM
Yes! Anyone can SCUBA dive as long as they have the desire to do it.

Like the lady you were talking about, I had major issues clearing my mask when I was a student. It took many hours in the shallow end and more than one Open Water class before I mastered the mechanics of it. (I’m a big-time nose breather even now.) Eventually, I got good at it and now I teach SCUBA.

Finally, whatever you do DO NOT let a diver like this go deeper to try the skill. Worst case: she could panic, hold her breath, shoot to the surface and DIE of a lung overexpansion injury. Even 10 feet of water adds 1/2 an atmosphere of pressure.

If she is a friend of yours, her best bet is to get one-on-one attention from a Dive Master or Instructor so she can get the help she needs and stay safe.. If she’s on Dive Buddy, you can have her contact me. I live in the area andoften go to Vortex and can show her the way I learned to clear my mask.
divershaun - 3/11/2012 7:43 PM
AGE can happen in three feet of water. deeper is not better for a situation like this. it seems like she needed more time in the pool first off. and second i have seen instr’s keep their students shallow like that and just hold them down so they dont bolt to the surface. would i recommend that? well im not an instructor so i wont say yes or no, lol. just no deeper! POIS’ are no good.
John_giu - 3/12/2012 6:17 AM
No, I do not believe SCUBA is for everyone. Some people are simply not comfortable with the mechanics, or technologies involved. My wife would not even consider trying SCUBA just for having looked at the equipment. Although to most of this forum group it may seem that there is not much "technology" to scuba it is more then some people are able (or willing) to deal with.

To the point of the diver you mentioned, the obvious question is how did she get pass basic scuba certification without being able to clear a mask. I don’t believe that instructors need to, nor should they brow beat students, but some skills are essential and need to be mastered.

Overcoming problems is always possible if you are willing to work at them. My dive buddy has fought every bad habit, fear, seasickness, and equipment problem you can dream up, still over time he has managed to become a proficient diver all with out drowning himself.

Scuba is a great sport with mostly everyone willing to help each other and new divers along the way. So kudos for you for stopping to care about and help another diver. Sounds to me like she needs you as a dive buddy.
LatitudeAdjustment - 3/12/2012 8:09 AM
From DiveGirlFWB: Yes! Anyone can SCUBA dive as long as they have the desire to do it. Like the lady you were talking about, I had major issues clearing my mask when I was a student. It took many hours in the shallow end and more than one Open Water class before I mastered the mechanics of it. (I’m a big-time nose breather even now.) Eventually, I got good at it and now I teach SCUBA. Finally, whatever you do DO NOT let a diver like this go deeper to try the skill. W...

I beg to differ, my first wife wanted to dive but was prone to panic even shallow in clear water. My 2nd wife couldn’t clear her ears. My current (and last) wife wants to dive but ever since the DM hit her in the head with an AL80 even snorkeling around others is a problem.

And don’t even get me started on divers I’ve seen who shouldn’t be diving, two women in Key Biscayne hanging upside down from the mooring rode the entire dive rather than go back up and ask for more weight. A diver in Wakatobi who couldn’t set up her own gear or carry it to the dive platform. Would you want any of these as your buddy when things go wrong?!
SaintsReturn - 3/12/2012 9:38 AM
I agree with Jon on this one. My fiance supports my diving to the full extent, but refuses to get in the water, let alone use the equipment. Not everyone has the mental path designed to allow SCUBA. She rocks at many other things, but this is not her sport. It sounds like Angie would be a great asset since she has encountered and beat this problem. It is much harder for those who have not experienced it to truly help the situation. Vortex is a great place to work on these skills as its clear water(haha) and not hectic seas. Good luck.
Subscribed
millertime24 - 3/12/2012 3:44 PM
Thanks for all the responses! Good discussion here if you ask me. I tend to lean towards SaintsReturn as far as the mental capability. Im also an avid skydiver with over 400 jumps, and I can tell you that sport isnt for everyone. If you freak out on a jump when somethings wrong chances are you die. SCUBA was very easy for me to get into because of its calm no time intensive aspect (ie mask clearing. If I cant do it on the first try no big deal so long as I have air.). Im of the mindset that people who are panic prone have no buisness putting themselves in high pressure situations.

About going deeper, I agree with the above post’s. I guess putting someone more in harms way won’t really improve their decision making skills in a paniced state.
Subscribed
millertime24 - 3/12/2012 4:04 PM
@ John, I tried to be a good dive buddy for her. I told her everything I know about fear and panic and how to overcome it. I even had her take her mask off for 4 full breath cycles in order to accept both the environment and the problem, but only 1 time out of 2 could she accomplish the task. I love helping new people, but this in my mind is a case of someone not capable of helping themself.
Subscribed
Greg - 3/14/2012 2:59 PM
As an instructor, I see many people that have issues clearing their mask. I NEVER certify anyone unless they can prove to me that they can easily clear their mask, multiple times, at different depths. If they can do it, but struggle through it, I may consider giving them their "scuba diver" rating which requires a dive master or instructor every time they go diving. If they can’t do it at all, I will NOT certify them. It’s one of those things that will easily freak someone out and potentially cause major problems.
oceanbound - 3/14/2012 8:24 PM
speaking for my own experiences when I was learning to dive, I had lots of problems and questioned whether or not I would dive. Had what i called my "freak out" experience (I think I have it on one of my blogs), and figured I would never dive again. I had a driving factor, my determination. If this person the OP discussed that can’t clear her mask was encouraged to keep trying, not pushing her to try, but encouraged, she will learn. I was lucky to have instructors who told me to take my time, and then even luckier to find a dive buddy who was patient, and taught me much, without being overbearing. Remember, learning to scuba is teaching your body to do something that is not normal for it. This takes time.
badintexas - 3/15/2012 8:30 AM
From SaintsReturn: I agree with Jon on this one. My fiance supports my diving to the full extent, but refuses to get in the water, let alone use the equipment. Not everyone has the mental path designed to allow SCUBA. She rocks at many other things, but this is not her sport. It sounds like Angie would be a great asset since she has encountered and beat this problem. It is much harder for those who have not experienced it to truly help the situation. Vortex is a great place to work on...
Absolutely! I was reading all of the posts here and ya’ll have great thoughts. As a non-diver I love this! "Not everyone has the mental path designed to allow SCUBA. She rocks at many other things, but this is not her sport." That’s totally me. Period!
MarkGL - 3/16/2012 2:41 AM
This bit you said "but every time she tried to complete the task she freaked out and surfaced." left me a bit stunned.

Isn’t that a part of the initial diving lessons? - to be able to remove your mask, weightbelt and BCD underwater confidently?

I would have thought if you couldn’t do that, then you wouldn’t pass your diving certificate.