Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Life in the springs
molina67 - 12/15/2011 12:38 PM
Category: General
Replies: 7

So me and my wife have dove in a few of the springs in Florida (Ginnie, Troy, and Devils Den) and have yet to see any life besides divers. I don’t have a problem with it, but my wife complains that it’s boring. I use spring diving to practice skills especially working on buoyancy. So my question is are there any springs that have life in them? We were going to hit Blue Grotto last weekend but the weather was not favorable so we just went shopping in Gainesville. We will be diving in the Caymans the end of January with Carnival Cruise and we are both excited. Anyway Thanks.

Kenny
caves4me - 12/15/2011 1:05 PM
Yes there is life in the springs, the problem is most of the creatures are fairly small and very shy it takes a keen eye to spot them. 
SeaGoat - 12/15/2011 2:32 PM

I’ve been to Ginny and seen snails and fish and freshwater flounder (but they’re 2in long and well-camoflaged).

Catfish Hotel at Manatee Springs State park pretty much a catfish nursery. You’ll see lots of fish at all stages of growth. It looks like pea soup from all the duckweed but is actually a very nice dive.

Vortex has a lot of fish during the day time. If you want to see eels and crawfish, it’s best to go at night. Like Barry says, they’re shy.
kruble - 12/15/2011 3:16 PM

Did a few dives at Manatee springs at Chiefland Fl. Not a large spring but saw a lot of fresh water fish, bream and Bass. Had one bass that was super friendly, he would swim up beside me just out of reach and I would try and reach him/her and he/she would dart off and then I would look to my left or right and there he/she would be again. I have dove Troy a few times and I have never seen a fish.
Subscribed
molina67 - 12/15/2011 8:04 PM
Guess I’m going to have to try Manatee springs next, maybe before the cruise. I have dove Ginnie and really enjoyed diving in the river, but it was a battle trying to get back to the opening where we started. Oh did I mention we’re new...LOL The current at the end of the river run was unbelievable. At one point I went down to the bottom because the "current is not that bad under water" (yeah right) and as much as I kicked I didn’t move, so we surfaces and pretty much kicked until we made it back to the opening. It was fun dive though.
ScubaDreaminn - 12/16/2011 8:06 AM

Hi there, we live right in the midst of all the Springs and yes while there isn’t as much marine life there are other things to look at and enjoy (the fossils, the light, the fauna). A couple of more suggestions if looking for fish: Rainbow River is a great dive and I never get bored there, shallow dive but a fun drift dive. Also, Kings Bay in Crystal River, while viz can be not that great, tons of really large fish (and an occassional Manatee :) A group of us may be going out on the 30th if you are interested in taggin along - trying to figure out where and there is the Galaxy Dive at Ginnie on New Years.

LatitudeAdjustment - 12/16/2011 9:30 AM

My kids both live in Florida so I’ve tried a few springs and caverns while down there and found them boring too but then I’m not a fan of freshwater dives at home either.

Following a line layed but who knows that thousands before me have followed and left their tank paint on the limestone is not my idea of fun, give me an ocean dive where you never know what you may find or unexpected may show up.
Subscribed
molina67 - 12/17/2011 9:00 AM
We really enjoyed the river at Ginnie and think we’ll stick to rivers for now.. Thanks for the heads up.