Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Small pin holes in HP SPG scuba hose (XS Scuba GA301 - Navigator Console)
Greg - 9/11/2011 10:27 AM
Category: Equipment
Replies: 3

The HP hose on the XS Scuba GA301, 3 Gauge, Navigator Console didn’t last very long for me. After only about 5 uses, it started to show tiny air bubbles seeping out of the HP hose on the end closest to the SPG. It almost looked like one of those air stones you would use for a fish tank.

After a bit of research, it seems this hose was designed with these small pin holes to release pressure if the insides of the hose malfunctions. Instead of causing a big lump or bubble in the hose...or rupturing all together...the holes slowly let out the pressure. A cool idea, but still not good if this hose only lasted 5 dives.

Needless to say, I replaced the hose and now I’m writing this forum topic to tell you about it.

If you’re not equipment certified, you shouldn’t try this, but for those that are, it’s easy to replace an SPG hose. In the model I have, the SPG is the only instrument connected to the hose, the depth gauge and compass are held within the rubber housing. You can pry the SPG out of it’s socket and pull it through to expose the hose connection. Remove the hose using wrenches, buy a new one and replace. You may need to lube up the hose with some silicon to get it to go back in the hole (no jokes needed here).

Does anyone know where I can buy a replacement hose for this brand? The instruments seem fine, just need to replace the hose.

Thanks,

Greg Davis
TColJeep - 9/11/2011 1:45 PM

Most shops carry HP hoses and if not, you can purchase from Leisure Pro. You just need to make sure you use the swivel that goes between the hose and the guage. This is the most common cause of leaks in most SPG’s.

Subscribed
Greg - 9/14/2011 11:57 AM
Thanks TColJeep. It has a unique adapter on the end so I’ll have to research this some more.
pmombourquette - 12/25/2011 7:17 AM
Almost all air hose have a pin pricked cover. Air will always excape from the tube and would cause bubbles in the cover , just like you said. This happened to me with compressor hoses, the cover blew and scrared the heck out of wife. If you see bubble within five dives, the hose is defective, warranty should cover it. most likely a improperly crimped end.

Paul