Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Personal Dive Equipment Ownership
Precious_Cargo_Diving - 4/16/2011 9:17 AM
Category: Survey
Replies: 39

The use of most SCUBA equipment is included in most basic O/W courses offered, this does not include the use of masks, snorkels, weight belts, booties or fins. With this in mind do you think that students moving on to the Advanced O/W should provide their own wetsuit, BCD, regulator rig and other necessary equipment or do you think it should be optional? Not wanting to rush the purchase of both expensive and very personal gear would you consider using a dive shop that allowed you to rent equipment for completing, for example, the Advance O/W course? To try out split fins or a weight integrated BCD? Maybe different types of materials in the wetsuit?
McNair - 6/12/2013 1:22 PM
[Choose #2] Don’t force divers to throw down all this $coin$. The classes and instructors time costs enough for some. However dive gear is a great investment IF you USE IT!
FritzMoore - 7/04/2012 11:45 AM
[Choose #2] Ok, I picked #2 because I just went through AOW and Dive Rescue. I changed B/C & computer. Also thinking of buying other gear because of things I learned in the classes. I have heard that most people really into diving have 2 or 3 setups anyway.
urbaneve - 12/26/2011 9:42 PM
[Choose #3] especially when it comes to computers... best to test drive then buy
Jen-Michael - 5/02/2011 1:00 PM
[Choose #1] You should have built up enough experience prior to starting an AOW course that you’ve begun to acquire your own equipment.
LatitudeAdjustment - 4/26/2011 3:09 PM
[Choose #3] I don’t understand why more LDS’s don’t have trial nights in the pool.
MonkeyDiver - 4/18/2011 11:32 AM
[Choose #1] Advanced divers should have their own stuff. Diving is a process, and rentals create too much variation within that process.
SaintsReturn - 4/18/2011 7:31 AM
[Choose #2] I fell in love with the gear i was trained in and bought it accordingly. I dont like what my new LDS carries and dont purchase their main gear. I rent from them to test out newer stuff and like having the option before spending the $, peace of mind
allstarwa - 4/17/2011 8:04 AM
[Choose #3] I think through AOW, equipement should be provided. If it’s not and I’m a new diver, I may not make the call to continue my education.
RAWalker - 4/17/2011 4:30 AM
[Choose #2] Divers taking classes other than OW should either have their own or pay for rentals
TColJeep - 4/16/2011 7:45 PM
[Choose #3] The cost of good reliable gear is so high that a diver should be able to rent the gear before buying to be sure it fits his/her needs. Too many new divers purchase gear that is either unnecessary, ill fitted or inadequit for the diving they will do.