Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Which dive computer should I buy?
Greg - 5/04/2006 1:37 PM
Category: Equipment
Replies: 9

I want to get a new dive computer. Should I get one that is air integrated? Does anyone have comments on using a wireless wrist mounted computer? Wouldn`t it be cool if they had one that measured your heart rate, I`m sure that would help with the decompression models.
Subscribed
Greg - 5/23/2006 5:05 PM
I went ahead and bought the Aeris AI, with quick disconnect and compass. It`s great so far. It doesn`t have a manual shut off, which is annoying, but I guess I understand why. I love the wrap around design and compass attachment, makes it REAL easy to navigate underwater while keeping track of all the vitals (direction, depth, air). It`s also air integrated (which I guess the "ai" in the name stands for...or else that means "artificial intellegence"). Air integrated means a much better dive profile. It measures altitude, depth, temp, time AND breathing. I bet soon they`ll have wrist mounted wireless computers that also measure your heart rate with inputs for your weight, % body fat, age, etc. All that will help to really calculate your dive profile.
Bluefin - 7/03/2006 12:04 AM
Greg, I have a non-air integrated computer (Suunto Vyper) and I`m seriously considering switching to an air-integrated version (Vytec or Cobra). Why? It`s easier to look at one gauge than two. The air-integrated versions also let you know your minimum time, either bottom time or air time. I`m leaning towards the Vytec with the tank pressure transmitter because I like the wrist mount (fewer hoses to mess with). I`d recommend you get a computer that you can download the data to a PC, it is a great way to keep track of your dives and see how close you come to any limits, along with air consumption.
sridenour - 8/01/2006 10:17 PM
I have a suunto d9 and can`t tell you how great it is. You have to get used to syncing it with the cylinder when gearing up but the ease of use and information stored is great. and the software for my computer has all but eliminated any info on my dive log but the basics.
scubacouple - 8/26/2006 10:09 AM
i was asked by Suunto to test dive the Vytec when it first came out a few years ago. they don`t have all the bugs out of the wireless transmitter yet. air pressure would be 2400psi one minute then 5600psi the next minute. i have not seen a hoseless system work properly yet. my own opinion don`t put all your eggs in one basket. if the computer craps out you lose everything.
sambolino44 - 10/13/2006 7:29 PM
Looks like this thread has changed from "What should I get?" - you already got yours - to "This is what I got." So, I got a Suunto Gekko. It`s from a brand I`m familiar with, it`s pretty simple, and it`s about as cheap as you can get. Haven`t done a night dive with it yet, so I wonder how I`ll like it then (no backlight). It was easy to learn, easy to use, and easy to read. I got a computer mainly because I heard it will increase your bottom time on a non-square-profile dive, compared to the tables, and that seems to be true. Now that I`ve used it I really like the ascent rate monitor and profile features. I don`t want to rely on it to the point that I lose my basic skills, but why not use the technology that`s available?
SkinandScuba - 1/22/2007 2:34 PM
I personally prefere air integrated computers. They do take some getting used too, if you have not used one before. By that I am refering to remaining gas time. The diver has to get used to interpreting what remaining gas time means. (This is the same that you should still be able to do dive tables in case the computer fails) Remember that remaining gas time changes continiously as your depth changes. Hose or wireless? I have heard of many problems with the wireless types, but never of any problems with the hose type. I am a bit biased on this comment as I have not looked at a wireless connection type for about 3 years. The other thing I prefer about the hose type is less chance of leaving it behind if you leave it attached after doing your kit checks. As per specific make, that I leave to the divers own choice. I believe that most computers on the market are all good. Some just have better features than others. (Maybe features that I look for)
rashley - 9/27/2007 9:50 PM
Since we are on the what I got, LOL,, I have an Oceanic Data Max Pro which is air integrated, and hosed. I also have an Oceanic Atom wrist, wireless AI. I ocasionally see it loose contact with the sender. It is also hard to read with my horrible vision. The text is too small. I love my Data Max Pro though.
DiveAuz - 4/23/2008 5:38 PM
"Wouldn`t it be cool if they had one that measured your heart rate, I`m sure that would help with the decompression models."

Greg some one at Uwatec must have thought the same thing because they now have one.