Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Such a tragedy
seawolfdiving - 6/30/2011 10:35 PM
Category: General
Replies: 5

"Cudjoe Key teen dies after scuba diving" story link as reported on keysnet.com.

http://www.keysnet.com/2011/06/29/353855/cudjoe-key-teen-dies-after-scuba.html

My heart and Prayers go out to the Family & Friends of this young diver...

tardmaster - 7/01/2011 6:05 PM
This a VERY tragic story. It was also totally preventable. This is why I never dive without a buddy. It is also why a pay very close attention to my spg. Thoughts and prayers go out to his family. i agree with pastor, i coulddn’t imagine being the aprent on a boat and have my child pop up and be in this condition. So very sad.
Subscribed
Greg - 7/02/2011 12:49 AM
From the report: "From witness accounts, Sheriff’s Office Deputy Linda Kohout reported that Piper was diving by himself in about 120 feet of water. Zane Osborn, 17, was free-diving from the surface and watching Piper, who was making his second dive of the day..." Very sad indeed. I almost can’t read things like this. One person free diving while a diver is over 120 feet under water scuba diving is NOT able to be a dive buddy at all. I would consider that surface support. This could be a case if over confidence or complacency. This is a great lesson for all of us. Dive with a buddy and always prepare for the worst. Plan your dive and dive your plan.
Subscribed
scubaclay - 7/02/2011 2:13 PM
Sorry to hear when ANY diver dies. 
divershades - 7/03/2011 2:54 PM
its sad to hear of deaths in our diveing world let alone someone getting hurt. prays to the family and freinds. I would also agree that planing your dive and diveing your plan is a must. ive been with groups that just jump in and go.