Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Bonaire 8/20-27/2011
mbchiro - 5/24/2011 12:28 PM
Category: Travel
Replies: 9

Anyone going to Bonaire August 20-27th 2011. My wife and I are staying at Coral Paradise and would like to have some dive buddies. We plan on doing 6 boat and as many shore dives as possible. Any advice, recommendations, or precautions would be greatly appreciated. I have approx 15 dives under my belt and she has 10. We have the Susan Porter book on Shore Diving Bonaire already. We also found some youtube videos by Blennylips (search it) awesome diving vids. I am looking for a good 3/2mm or 3mm fullsuit. I hear fire coral is everywhere there. I am 5’10 1/2 approx 210lbs, athletic. I tried on a Neosport 3mm XL and L and both tight in chest and shoulders. I tried on an AquaLung Sport and the 2XL fit me in the chest but I had more rolls than a sharpe to get it to fit LOL. I have researched a lot and like the price point on the Pinnacle 3mm Elastoprene and also the Bare 3/2mm Velocity. Getting one to fit is another story. Any thoughts?
RickCavanaugh - 5/24/2011 6:28 PM
When shore diving leave nothing in your car. The locals will be there waiting for you to enter the water to search your belongings. They will even steal $5 sunglasses.

Knowing this, be smart and have fun. Great diving there. You may want to take a navigation course to be more comfortable with the shore dives. It is not rough, reef goes left or right. Its a matter of surfacing close to your truck. :)
kpetro - 5/24/2011 8:28 PM
They say if your suit isn’t tight, it’s too big. They tend to get loose in the water and you don’t want a lot of room for water or critters to get in.
Subscribed
mbchiro - 5/25/2011 8:34 AM
From RickCavanaugh: When shore diving leave nothing in your car. The locals will be there waiting for you to enter the water to search your belongings. They will even steal $5 sunglasses.

Knowing this, be smart and have fun. Great diving there. You may want to take a navigation course to be more comfortable with the shore dives. It is not rough, reef goes left or right. Its a matter of surfacing close to your truck. :)

Rick, what about a towel to dry off? Where do you put your truck key?/ ID
Subscribed
sk290 - 5/25/2011 12:05 PM
You could put the keys and ID in a sealable plastic bag and place it in your bcd pocket if you have one. We were advised to leave the truck doors open so they wouldn’t break the windows to look inside.

Also, make sure that you let someone at the resort know of your diving plans in case something happens and they know to come look for you since you both are kind of new. Look for dive sites with easy entry and exit. I wish I had booties with think sole then because the rocks and sea urchins were abundant.

Have fun and dive safe!

Sandra
Subscribed
mbchiro - 5/25/2011 2:56 PM
thanks, I’ll figure out something. I guess if its a non electronic key I could stash it somwhere in my BC or wetsuit. Any other recommendations for Bonaire?
Subscribed
diverray - 5/25/2011 3:09 PM
When I shore dive, I use a small (about 3x6 inch) plastic wateproof box. It has a lid with an o-ring seal, and it is on a lanyard. It is large enough to put your key/fob, as well as a little cash or credit card. I haven’t had any leaks, down to 75 ft. They are available at scuba shops, beachwear shops, etc.
JoePagano - 5/25/2011 4:20 PM

Wet suit - NeoSport XSpan, try it you’ll like it. After the 1st day I just used my 3m shortie for the rest of the week, even on night dives. Thick soled booties - very good idea. Fire coral - yes abundant, and gloves are not permitted (by LAW).

We just hid the key in the truck, all they want is carry away valuables. We are already booked again for Jan at Buddy Dive. Enjoy............. Joe P
Subscribed
mbchiro - 5/25/2011 4:27 PM
thanks, any specific recommendations i.e. manuf Otter Box maybe???