Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Best mask for nose-breather
jilibn73 - 5/17/2011 1:58 AM
Category: Equipment
Replies: 9

I tend to breathe little through my nose, especially when I"m tired. My mask always always leaks. I have a big head for agirl so I want a new mask that’s really good leak-proof, especially for nose breathers. Can’t decide on purge vs. non-purge. Suggestions? Comment? All welcome...advice is super helpful
DeepAddiction - 5/17/2011 8:01 AM
I have used a ton of different mask’s and the only one I really like is the Mares Liquid Skin Masks. The skirt is so soft it really seals wonderfully. I also have somewhat of a pumpkin head, hopefully this helps. I wouldn’t buy one from Leisure Pro, I would definitely find some locally to try on.

http://www.leisurepro.com/Cat/Context_954/Filter_1%3d401/Page_1/Masks/958.html
Subscribed
Rich-D-Fish - 5/17/2011 11:54 PM
I’m a nose breather too. And I don’t think exhaling through your nose has anything to do with a leaking mask. Sometimes the bubbles will find their way into my hood and make me slightly positive until the air leaks out. But it shouldn’t let air in. I probably breathe out through my nose 50% of my breaths with no water entering. I think it’s more likely you have hair getting under the skirt. My wife has long hair and always seems to have that issue. Or possibly the edge of your hood. I like frameless masks for a better fit. 

As for purge vs. non-purge. I’ve never used a purge mask, but many a proclaimed expert have told me not to use them for two reasons. 1. It’s hard to pinch your nose for equalizing. 2. It’s a plastic part that can fail or get smashed in your bag and broken. I also figure if they worked well...everyone would be using them right?

Hope this helps.
Granitehawk - 5/18/2011 8:39 PM
I use a purge mask and love it , allows me to breathe out through my nose to equilize and push out water the happens to leak in due to facial hair
Subscribed
kpetro - 5/18/2011 10:25 PM
I had a purge in my mask and it was hard to pinch to equalize. The other problem I had was the little flappy thing would get caught funny and my mask would flood, kinda hard to breathe that way. My mask usually leaks from my hair, need a smaller skirt I guess.
Subscribed
seawolfdiving - 5/18/2011 10:59 PM

I have tried quite a few different styles and makes of mask over the years and I have found that the ones with the purge valve are really not for me. The valve always ends up leaking or breaking and it always makes it more difficult to pinch my nose when equalizing.

I have been using SeaVision mask for the past 5 years and I absolutely love it. I wear glasses and I have my mask lenses fitted with my perscription in the lens. They are high quality masks and they have several different styles to fit just about every face. You can even have your lenses tinted (rose or amber) or clear. I have an amber lense mask and a clear mask.

Their website is http://seavisionusa.com/

Subscribed
DiveBuddyChgo - 5/20/2011 7:30 AM
Full face mask.
Subscribed
hoofpick - 5/20/2011 11:22 PM
I have used many types of masks and have experienced many different types of problems. In your case, I would agree that maybe your hair is underneath the skirt or as is the case with one of my masks, it will leak if I smile, because of the creases on each side of my nose and when I smile it leaks. So your problem could be any one of several issues but I doubt that it is because you exhale through your nose. Any good purge mask of the right size should do the job for you.
MDW - 1/05/2012 9:25 AM
Just say no to purge valve. Any mask will purge just fine out the bottom of the skirt every time you exhale through the nose (which is apparently often. No reason to add a failure point / leak point that adds no functionality.

Go to a shop and try on masks until you find one that fits right does not leak. Make sure to tuck your hair into your hood and don’t let your hood get inside the mask.

Now, if you are trying to inhale through your nose, stop it, or get a full face mask.
Subscribed
hoofpick - 1/05/2012 10:49 AM
I agree with deepadiction don’t buy from Leisure Pro, simply because you can’t try before you buy. Also most of what Leisure Pro sells does not meet manufacturers specs. and is not warranted by the manufacturer. I do like the Mares Line and they are one of the few manufacturers who have equipment designed especially for women. Look at the She Dives Line. Good luck on your search for a mask.