Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Dive Rite or OMS
BoxsterMan - 4/15/2011 8:08 PM
Category: Equipment
Replies: 11

I’m considering moving to a backplate / harness type BCD. Any comments regarding Dive Rite or OMS?
Subscribed
RAWalker - 4/16/2011 2:59 AM

Either is a fine product for backplate and whichever harness you may be considering. The wing on the other hand is a different story. For a doubles wing I prefer the OMS offerings. For a singles wing I wouldn’t be satisfied with Dive Rite or OMS but instead suggest Oxycheq Mark V.

My personal collection includes both an Aluminum and Stainless Steel backplate from OMS each with a Deluxe Comfort Harness. My wings are a 30# Oxycheq Mark V and a 45# OMS Bungie wing.
Subscribed
dive7mmwet - 4/16/2011 8:43 PM

We love the Dive Rite Trans plate harness system, it can be used singles or doubles with ease, we got the system and our 11 YO JOW diver installed them on our plates in no time and even did a video on You tube!

http://youtu.be/qzfbE3vjtcg

pick your wing and put on your plate,

We like the Halcyon

Cinch system ,but could not use it with our plates,DR was no problem.
Subscribed
LatitudeAdjustment - 4/17/2011 7:07 PM
The beauty of a BP & W is you can mix and match to suit the dive and you don’t say what kind of diving you will be doing plus there are other choices besides what has been said. I have a FredT 6 pound SS backplate which can be bought rough and finished yourself. For warm water travel I use a plastic backplate from Deep Sea Supply that has SS reinforcements at the stress points. For travel I also use a small DSS wing.
Subscribed
BoxsterMan - 4/17/2011 9:06 PM
Thanks for the input. You have added to my quest.

BAsically, I am an instructor, and plan to use in fresh water for training purposes. I have a Aqualung Zuma for travel, and a AQ vest for other diving. My Seaquest Black Diamond failed this winter, so this is sort of a planned replacement.
Subscribed
Diving4Fun - 4/20/2011 8:23 PM
Have you looked at HOG set-up? A good dive buddy of mine suggested the set-up for me, and I couldn’t be happier with it. Price is write also!
Subscribed
BoxsterMan - 4/20/2011 8:42 PM
No, that’s a new one on me. Is that through Dive Rite?
Subscribed
caves4me - 4/21/2011 6:15 AM
HOG has been around for a few years, pretty good quality at a reasonable price!
Subscribed
LatitudeAdjustment - 4/21/2011 8:14 PM

From BoxsterMan: No, that’s a new one on me. Is that through Dive Rite?

It’s just the way the weight belt webbing is routed through the back plate, I’ve actually used an old seatbelt which is easier on the shoulders but it slips through the slots too easy and needs constant adjustment so I went back to weight belt webbing. There is a video on DSS on how to route the strap.
Subscribed
caves4me - 4/22/2011 8:35 AM

I guess there’s actually two Hogs out there! One a dive gear manufacture and the other is a configuration or style.

HOG dive gear, http://www.edge-gear.com/ HOG’s manufacturer OEM makes wings and back plates. OEM makes a lot of regulators and dive gear for other dive manufactures.

Hogarthian style and is sometimes called a Hog configuration, this is a minimalist approach towards dive equipment and its usage, no clutter, very clean and simple! With a Hogarthian rig the back plate harness webbing is continuous, no breaks in the harness. There is usually three D-rings with five keepers, two chest D-rings and one left hip D-ring. A small bungee loop attached underneath upper left shoulder D-ring between the strap and keeper, a couple of tri-glides going down the harness. The last two keepers go on the backside of the plate between the shoulder and waist straps, this keeps the straps from moving.

Hogarthain style was founded by Bill Hogarth Main a cave diver and explorer. He was also responsible for cave divers using long hose as a primary breathing regulator and donating it to an out of air diver. Even sidemounters have adopted the Hogarthian style by using the long hose as a donating hose. Most technical dive training agencies use the Hogarthain style or configuration, it’s been around for a long time. 

I hope this will make things a little bit more clearer about the two Hogs.

Barry

Subscribed
darncat - 7/23/2011 2:34 AM
Every one either suggests Diverite, OMS, Oxycheck or Hollis. Before you buy take a look at the Zeagle Range, the ranger is a great fully equipped (twin capable) BC, or if you are looking to minimalist try the Express Tech with lightweight backplate.
MDW - 1/05/2012 10:13 AM
One nice thing with the OMS BP is it is the same pattern as the more expensive Halcyon BP. This allows you to use the Halcyon lift bag pocket/plate cover on the OMS plate. I have 3 OMS plates all with the Halcyon accessory (2 steel, 1 aluminum). I also have 1 DR BP, which (ironically) is the one I almost always use these days. It is a little bigger and seems more solid. I put a lift bag pocket outboard on each side since the Halcyon cover/pocet does not fit the DR hole pattern.

As for wings, I have exclusively DR wings. I have 2 Classics (double), 1 Trek (single/double), and 1 Venture (long single). I also had a DR Rec Wing, which I sold, but wouldn’t mind still having. I’ve tried OMS wings, but find them to be oversized and bulky. I also don’t like the tight bungee strapping that is needed to keep the gialnt doubles wings in check (but also cause the wing to fully force-deflate if it gets even a tiny puncture. I would also consider an OxyCheq single wing for a smaller single tank.

With respect to harness, I strongly recommend simple 2 in webbing. It is cheap, simple, and easily replaceable and makes just as comfortable a harness as any of the fancy sewn ones with all the extra buckles, snaps, rings, and pads (unless you dive nude, then the padding might be nice to have).