Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Some Notes on Roatan..
sandworm30 - 3/16/2011 7:56 PM
Category: Travel
Replies: 7

Hey Guys,
I recently got back from a cruise to the western Caribbean on the Carnival Valor. While a cruise ship is a great way to sample the Caribbean and decide which places you would like to revisit, there is simply not enough time at each destination to do much diving..
That said, I booked a two tank dive trip thru the cruise line via Anthony’s Key Resort in beautiful Roatan Honduras. It was pretty much a typical cattle run dive; 20 divers on the boat with little time for the dive masters to get to know any of the divers. I made the enormous mistake of NOT bringing my own diving gear and decided to take my chances with the rental gear.
The rental BC, still wet from the last person who used it an hour ago, was ratty, worn out in every possible high-wear area, bleached out, missing buckles..You get the idea. One of the main buckles was broken, then tied back on to the vest with a piece of webbing. However, the inflator did still work and I used it anyway.
Miraculously, the BC actually worked under water. In hindsight, I should have requested another piece of equipment, or better yet brought my own.
The diving in Roatan is amazing, of course, and I love how under devloped the island is. We saw some cool turtles, a green moray and lots of other great stuff. The amount of marine life is mind boggling.
However, I cannot over stress the importance of conservation of these areas that we divers love so much. The divemasters on this trip did not say anything to the divers about not touching the coral or make any mention of conservation of the reef. I am afraid that in a very short period of time, Roatan will become another beautiful exotic destination that is going to be loved to death. Some of the divers on our boat were taking underwater photos and literally lying right on the coral to get the perfect angle. This is totally unacceptable.
PLEASE PLEASE people, we HAVE TO MAKE SURE these places that we dive remain the beautiful, serene, untouched wilderness or they are simply going to turn into the Florida Keys (a coral graveyard, from overuse). Roatan needs to have some very tough reef protection regulations like Bonaire, or, I am afraid to say, it is not going to survive the next 5-10 years.
Subscribed
WarmWaterTurner - 3/17/2011 8:24 AM
Thanks for the report! I dove with Coconut Tree Divers when I was in Roatan. I agree that it is a wonderful location. You have reinforced my determination NOT to dive off a cruise ship excursion. I don’t like to cattle car diving as you describe. Quality is sacrificed when the goal is to get as many divers in the water as possible. Anthony’s Keys normally has a very good reputation. I suspect that they have a hard time refusing what a cruiseline contact can pay. As you mentioned, Roatan is a little and relatively undeveloped spot. A hard place to have a living I am sure!
LatitudeAdjustment - 3/17/2011 11:34 AM
 Having used AKR in the past I’m surprizsed they didn’t reinforce the don’t touch the reef speech but with cruise ship divers they haven’t had time to check out your skills before taking you to the reef :(
Subscribed
tazzer9797 - 3/18/2011 7:44 AM
I have dove Anthony’s Key and must say I give them top marks as a dive resort. As for the 2 weeks I spent there I watched as bus loads from the cruise ships pulled in and thought they owned the place. The cruise ship divers dive off different boats then the resort guests. this is done I assume to get the cruise ship divers in and out do to time restraints. I also watched as the DM’s explained the do not touch rules that seem to have fallen on deaf ears. Dont blame A K R for a bunch of ignorant divers. I would go back to Anthonys Key in a heart beat. I wish the cruise ships would go elsewhere...
Subscribed
sandworm30 - 3/18/2011 9:32 AM
Tazzer, thanks for the response..I do not blame AKR for the ignorant divers, but I do feel the divemasters have a responsibility to let people know when they do something potentially harmful to the reef.. I DO however blame AKR for having sub-standard equipment, which is not acceptable.
I am happy to hear that you had a good experience with them and had a good divemaster. Thanks again for your input!