Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Hawaii Diving
PegLeg - 10/12/2007 1:18 PM
Category: Travel
Replies: 9

Anyone ever been diving in Hawaii? Looking for some feedback on dive companies to dive with as well as diving locations. We will be staying around Wakiki area. We`re going down at the end of Feb. Thanks.
NWKatShark - 10/12/2007 7:53 PM
There are a few different ones on Oahu, most are good. Beach diving is aplenty also. Aina Moana State Park in Waikiki (Beach Dive) Kahe Point Beach Park aka Electric Beach (Beach Dive) Hanauma Bay (Beach Dive) If possible, and you haven`t done it, catch a hop over to Maui and charter a dive to Molokini Crater. Absolute must dive in Hawaii. Crater to 60 feet, outside rim is wall dive into the abyss. Wherever you go in the Islands, dive it like you`ll NEVER be back! Larry
Subscribed
PegLeg - 10/13/2007 10:16 AM
Thanks Larry.
dondiver - 10/14/2007 5:15 AM
Larry is correct about Maui. The Molokini Crater is a great dive, the cost`s run 119 to 169 depending on the operation. I know Maui dive shop and scuba shack dive operations from Kihei harbor. Maui dive also has a boat to Lanai from the Ma`alea harbor, just north of Kihei, and this 2 tank trip is great on both dives. The cathedrials, 1 or 2, is the first dive and the second may be sargeant major dive site or no name site, also very good sites and the cost is the same as a molokini dive. Keep in mind that the Molokini second dive will be a turtle town dive site, a 20 to 65 ft vis dive at 27ft depth that can also be made directly from shore at the Makena Beach landing just south of Kihei for free. The best Dive shop I know of is Maui dreams - not maui dive, close in name. Their rental gear is tops and the best rates, repairs, dive info and great people on the island. They do a DPV shore dive to St. Anthony wreck at 65ft depth that is covered in huge turtles and the occaisional larger fish and lots of smaller fish everwhere. That cost is I think 89.00 and includes dpv instruction and a guide. only about 1% of divers on Maui have ever done this dpv dive. That`s where I have sent every single diver looking for the most fun dive on the island...Oh, and if you do ever go to turttle town Makena beach between 11am and 2pm, stop at the hot dog cart, the gal with 4ft blonde hair cooks excellent hot links and sandwiches. I know I said alot in this reply, it`s just that there is so much to say about the dive sites.
NWKatShark - 10/15/2007 6:40 PM
Another one you can do, just for fun. After a full day of diving around Oahu, we decided to "up-gas" at our Hotel Bar. We donned our Full gear, everything, and headed to the elevator to the 4th floor Bar. One of our crew manned the camcorder and shot the whole thing. Masks on and Regs in mouth, we stopped at each floor on the way, doors open and people got wide-eyed, a few opted for the next elevator! Our camcorder guy goes ahead of us into the Bar around the back to shoot us coming in. You wouldn`t believe the looks from people. He`s panning everyone`s reactions. Security shows up thinking there was a ruckus going on, everyone was laughing hysterically and taking pictures with us, especially the Japanese tourists. It got to the point that EVERYONE was waiting for the reaction of the NEXT people coming in. The routine response was "What the hell?". We should have started charging for photo ops. Anyway, the Bartender says that`s the funniest thing she`s EVER seen in her life and drinks are on THEM! She made a REALLY REALLY big mistake. And we had REALLY REALLY lousy hangovers the next morning. We took plenty of stills and video of it but I hesitate to post it since it doesn`t represent responsible diving, OR drinking. Don`t try to drink a Bar out of stock and then walk in fins. It won`t work, TRUST ME! I submitted the video to a (to be un-named) TV show that does funny home videos. They thought it was hilarious BUT couldn`t use it because of the nature of the video and considering their broad viewing audience. Oh well. It was great for the laughs, AND the free bar tab!. Have FUN! Get WEIRD! Make people LAUGH!
ptutor - 10/16/2007 4:52 PM
My very first dive was in a `discover scuba` class at Kona, and it was fantastic! It is why I am diving today. Super viz, lots of different and exotic creatures, little to no waves or surge (at least on the day I was there. I have since been diving in Southern California and in La Paz Mexico, and they don`t compare.
Subscribed
PegLeg - 10/17/2007 10:33 AM
Thanks for the info Don. It`s great to get this stuff from someone who`s been there before and knows the location and dive spots. Appreciate it. Cheerz
Penutbutter - 10/17/2007 4:22 PM
Aloha, New member on the team. I live on Oahu too, and you really have to try to find a bad place to dive here. I`d stay clear of the North Shore durring winter (bad surge). However the West and South shores are still prime. South shore has good wrecks (Sea Tiger [ at ] 110` with great vis). "E Beach" or electric beach (25-40`) is another great spot. Tons of fish that are not afraid of anything (good photo opportunity). My buds and I dive there just about every Saturday and Sunday. Anyway, just wanted to pass that along, and hope to see ya. Mahalo
Easydiver2 - 10/25/2007 1:29 AM
I dive with Island Divers Hawaii, they pick up from the Wakkiki hotels and bring you to Hawaii Kai shopping center where their 2nd shop and dive boat is docked. If you want to shore dive, check out www.shorediving.com. The north shore is undiveable since the high surf is here now. IDH dives the south shore and also have special trips. Morning dives deep & shallow leaves dock at 8AM, afternoon dives shaallow & shallow leaves at 12:30PM. Their boat is named the Sea Fox and will take up to 18 divers. They are the best operations that I have experienced for the last 10 yrs of coming to the island of Oahu. Good luck, Charlie
psjanssen - 11/01/2007 9:04 PM
As for proximity to Waikiki, you might try diveoahu they are very close have their own boat, and good to dive with. Island divers is good, but they have this tendancy to pack people on their boat, and mostly dive out of the east side of the island. There are some good dives out that way don`t get me wrong, but every dive I`ve done out that way there has been current, and sometimes wavey conditions. One thing to make sure of no matter who you dive with here on Oahu, make sure whoever you dive with has their own boat. Diving with a company that rents seats on a boat isn`t that good. They tend to pack the boat, and rush you on and off the boat. By far the best operation I`ve dived with since I`ve been here is Captain Bruce`s! I can`t say enough good things about this boat, it`s a big boat big enough to easily get 20-30 people on, but he never puts more than 15 or 16 people on it so there is plenty of room to move around the boat, the boat has a warm water shower, and they always have food and beverage on the boat for you for between and after the dives. The only drawback to diving with him is the fact that he`s 45 min away from Waikiki, they do offer a Waikiki shuttle though so you don`t have to worry about the drive. He dives the Mahi shipwreck, and all of the other leeward coast spots. There is also shore diving as well. We have lots of good shorediving on this island, but I don`t recommend you go out trying to find it on your own. If you contact me off list I can put you in contact with a couple shorediving groups that won`t charge you to go out with us on a shoredive, you`ll just need to provide your own gear, and tanks. Hope this helps Scott