Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

new camera on the market
debay(Dee-Bay) - 10/11/2007 3:22 PM
Category: Photography
Replies: 4

Its not a n ame brand camera and doesnt boast all of the features of many other cameras already on the market, but the Intova IC600 is a good deal for the money. Its a 6 MP all digital camera that comes with a clear housing rated to 180 feet. Its compatable with most every other brand of strobe and accessory kit on the market. most dive shops have them for 300.00, but new egg.com has them for 179. its a good camera at a good price for someone who just wants decent underwater pics without the hefty price of expensive gear. One word of advice..2500mAh rechargeable batteries are a MUST.
psjanssen - 10/11/2007 4:14 PM
Well where do I begin with this one. I was given one of these cameras as a wedding gift, took it to the big island of Hawaii and had the sucker leak on me after about 3 dives with it. After contacting the company which luckily has an office here on Oahu (where I live) they replaced just the camera not the housing. Took it out and dived about 3 or 4 more dives, and that one leaked too. Took it back to the company they replaced the camera and housing this time. I`m on my 3rd camera and 2nd housing from them. Make absolutely sure you clean and relube your o-rings and seats for the o-rings after EVERY dive. Also make sure you soak the camera for at least a couple hours in fresh water after every dive. Failure to maintain this camera properly will cause the housing to leak. The camera takes pretty good pictures, as long as you work within the limitations of the camera. DO NOT use this camera for night/low light photography unless you get the optional flash defuser from the company. The housing throws off a really bad shadow in the bottom left 1/3 of the image. I have had pretty good success once I figured out what the camera can and can not do. All that being said, if you`re willing to shell out the $300-$350 the LDS`s are charging I would suggest going another route. I had an Olympus camera I bought used on Ebay for $179, and a housing I got on Ebay for $29.95 as well directly from Olympus that thing worked great, never had a problem with and it took awesome pics. Also look around ebay I`m quite certain you can find used Sea & Sea (sp?) cameras with UW housings. Those cameras take good pictures for a low end UW camera/housing combo, and are very very durable. Hope all this helps Scott
Subscribed
debay(Dee-Bay) - 10/11/2007 9:17 PM
never seen anyone dive with latex gloves. course, we dont have fire coral here either. as for the camera and housing- Im new to UW photography, but I have been reading up on it. It seems rule one, is to always treat the housing as if its the first time its ever been in the water. That means before and after every dive you pull the o-rings, clean the o-rings and grooves, then grease`em and put em back. I generally prep mine the night before and dont open it till Im back home. I know its not pressurized like at depth, but I submerge it at home and check it for obvious leaks. you must have really impressed or intimidated the rep to give you new camera. most companies will just laugh.
trickyrick - 4/28/2008 11:05 AM
I HAVE ONE AND I LOVE IT !!! THE MICROPHONE WORKS WELL UNDERWATER FOR THE VIDEO TOO !!!
Subscribed
debay(Dee-Bay) - 6/09/2008 10:28 PM
some Intova pics.

http://s303.photobucket.com/albums/nn126/debay777/