Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Diving Catalina Island
magicjanice - 12/14/2010 3:46 PM
Category: General
Replies: 4

Does anyone know what visibilty on Catalina Island may be like in January?
Subscribed
daz88 - 12/14/2010 7:51 PM
don’t think it changes too much with the season, but from what I hear it’s normally at least 40’. I’m heading down there the week after christmas, I’ll let you know when I get back.
Subscribed
Rich-D-Fish - 12/15/2010 12:41 AM

I got this usefull info below off a local website. Obviously conditions can vary widely due to weather. Let me know when you are planning to drive down. I may know of a group heading to the island that weekend and I can steer you in the right direction.

Rich

Catalina Island Underwater Visibility Visibility is normally 40ft. The best underwater visibility at Catalina Island is from July to December, with visibility peaking from September to November, 50-60ft visibility. Black sea bass and large baitballs visit in the summer and fall. April - June can have occasional plankton blooms that lower vis to 20ft.

Catalina Island Water Temps The warmest temperatures are from mid-July to late September, almost 70 degrees near the surface, and the coldest waters are from March to early June, 56-59 degrees. The dive boats can be crowded in July and August. Jan to March can be clear and cold, and April - June can have occasional plankton blooms. Jan to June there are thermoclines as you get deeper (60-80ft), below the thermocline the water will be cold (low 50’s) and clear (70-100ft visibility).

Subscribed
magicjanice - 12/15/2010 11:33 AM
Thanks a lot! I have plans to go on the 15th of January. Please keep me posted. Have a great dive- it’s beautiful down there!
Subscribed
magicjanice - 12/15/2010 11:35 AM
Hey there- thanks for the info. Some of the best visibilty is supposed to be in the winertime and I am going down on January 15th. Very excited!