Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Egypt Attacks
JoePagano - 12/06/2010 3:05 PM
Category: Health & Safety
Replies: 4

Any members have insight into the recent shark attacks in Egypt, other than the limited information that has trickled out?

Hoping none of our DiveBuddy.com friends were involved. Joe P
Subscribed
divergirl4u - 12/06/2010 3:57 PM

Here is a thread with the reports:

http://www.thecyberdiver.com/showthread.php?752-CDWS-statement-on-shark-incident-in-Sharm-el-Sheikh
From what I hear from facebook divers in that area it was two women and one man that were attacked. One is in serious trouble and still in the hospital and may not make it. I spoke to a shop owner in the area where a victim was taken awaiting the ambulance to arrive and she was an older German woman that was not conscience when she arrived or left his shop.
Now they are killing sharks looking for the right one! They have caught and killed 2 sharks and said they are not the sharks that attacked the people. How many more will be killed? It is a sad day for the sharks.
Subscribed
JoePagano - 12/06/2010 6:11 PM
Just caught a story from BBC on TV. It seems the authorities there don’t have a clue. Someone actually captured a photo of the shark responsible, it has a distinct piece missing from the tail fin. Sort of reminds me of the political morons in the "Jaws" town of Amity....................................... Joe P
Subscribed
AOW_dude - 12/09/2010 11:34 PM
It looks like a freak accident, and it is. My buddy snorkeled and free-dived for a week in that exact place a couple years ago, took awesome UW pictures. Gorgeous reef and the sharks there normally don’t go that shallow, let alone attack. Hey, stuff happens.
Subscribed
sk290 - 12/10/2010 12:12 AM
Here’s some more details on these incidents:

"... the shark attacks, which involved two sharks in separate incidents attacking three Russian and one Ukrainian tourists, may have been spurred by a livestock-transporting ship dumping dead sheep overboard into the ocean"

Never a shortage of morons...

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/accidents-incidents/361664-oceanic-whitetip-attacks-red-sea.html