Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Rub your eyes?
kpetro - 10/18/2010 10:54 AM
Category: General
Replies: 6

So I’m curious how many people feel the urge to rub their eyes underwater? Whether from salt water stinging, contacts bugging you, or something else? What are your thoughts?
Subscribed
Greg - 10/18/2010 1:22 PM
I do...and sometimes I even take my mask off to do just that :) I keep my eyes closed when rubbing them obviously, but it helps sometimes just to rub them with the mask off.
Subscribed
Pixel - 10/18/2010 5:57 PM
I have!! It’s happened on more than one occasion that I’ve cleared my mask and somehow my eyes get irritated. Few seconds of rapid eye blinking, partial sight/temporary blindness and grabbing some part of my dive buddy so as not to get lost and all’s good again.

Greg I admire your mask taking off. The one thing I just cannot do no matter the practice is mask removal. Still not sure how I passed that part of underwater testing. lol
Subscribed
diverray - 10/18/2010 8:31 PM
Every time, when I first get in the sea water. Not much after I get settled and into the dive.
Subscribed
LatitudeAdjustment - 10/19/2010 3:32 PM

From kpetro: So I’m curious how many people feel the urge to rub their eyes underwater? Whether from salt water stinging, contacts bugging you, or something else? What are your thoughts?

What are you cleaning your mask with? Maybe you should change it!
Subscribed
Em - 11/04/2010 7:10 AM

A quick fix to make your eyes feel better is to squeeze your eyelids together really hard. Then blink a bunch of times. Squeezing releases natural tears into your eyes. My eye doctor told me this after complaining of buying expensive eye drops for years.