Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Dive Vacation ideas
DiveGirl - 9/22/2007 6:13 PM
Category: Travel
Replies: 8

My husband is coming back from a year long deployment overseas in November and I am trying to schedule a vacation for us. Before his deployment we went on a cruise and were able to dive in Cozumel and really enjoyed it. I am trying to decide on going there or somewhere new, maybe the Bahamas. We live in Virginia and are looking for a great week long dive vacation that is also affordable. Any suggestions? We both have Adv Open Water cert. Any advice would be great! Thanks! Kristy
bpsf1 - 9/23/2007 7:51 AM
Though I have not been yet, I hear the Blackbeard Liveaboard out of Freeport is good and inexpensive. I think you can reach Freeport on Airtran direct from Norfolk or Newport News if you are in that area.
DalelynnSims - 9/24/2007 7:30 AM
Check into the deals on airfair to Bonair. they have specials many times. If you stay at one of the places like Captin Dons you can get a package deal, room, meals, diving all for one price.

Hope this helps as I know what it is like to be deployed. I did similiar when I got back in April.

Best Fishes!!! [
VaDiver95 - 9/24/2007 9:00 AM
I`m glad to here your husband made it back safely. For a nice vacation any of the Caribbean dive locations would be nice...plus some are reasonably cheap. Plus you get to relax on the beach too. For a quick getaway take a long weekend and head to the Outer Banks, NC. The dive operators should be diving throughout November.
Subscribed
DiveGirl - 9/24/2007 4:57 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I think we are leaning on going to the bahammas since we have never been before, also the short plane ride is a big plus. We are both sick of long overseas flights! Anybody have any experience diving there? I soo can`t wait to get wet again! I was so worried my husband was going to come back and want to do something else but he is itching to dive again too. Thanks everyone! Kristy
ScubaGrrl - 10/10/2007 6:34 AM
Have you thought of coming to South Africa and Travelling to Mozambique. You could organize a FANTASTIC tour from Durban - Aliwal Shoal, up through to Sodwana Bay, Southern Mozambique and on to Maputo for a flight back. Could be pretty amazing trip!!
Ahmed - 10/14/2007 12:28 PM
Hi Have you ever been diving in the Red Sea of Egypt?? We are located at Hurghada, Egypt and here you and your husband would really enjoy diving. We have some amazing reefs, crystal clear water and loads of dolphins, turtles etc. to play with underwater. At our diving center we believe in "Fun Diving".... meaning we only do what we think is really fun, and there is room for anyone no matter which level they are on. If you dont want to dive all your holiday we also arrange safaris in the desert. You could be diving with dolphins one day, and the next driving with full spead through the desert to the bedouins where you can ride the camels... For your information we have very good prices here (check the website www.bijou-diving.com), and we even haven apartments inside the center. This means you dont have to arrange transport to and from diving center each day. Anyway, have a look at the website and give me shout back. For sure you are welcome here Cheers - Ahmed
ptutor - 10/16/2007 4:54 PM
I have never dived in the Caribbean, but recently dove in La Paz Mexico. The water temp was 81-82 at the surface, and I think Nov. might be good timing for Hammerhead Sharks.
downunder1957 - 10/17/2007 7:28 AM
Dear Kristy, Cozemel diving is great did you dive Barracuda Pt?You dont mention a budget or what sort of diving you want to do.Havent done a lot of diving in the Bahamas(only the spots you do from a cruise ship) but have seen some great specials advertised when Ive used GOOGLE to search for dive destinations. Mike Ball In QLD has some great liveaboards (recently admitted to scuba diving hall of fame)Fiji is nice and inexpensive ,for wreck diving Truk Lagoon which is arguably the best in wreck diving in the world but the destination is dependant on the level of accommadation you want My previous employer has lots of trips ABYSS.com.au (Best dive operator PADI for Asia pacific region) But you have to factor in travel expenses air fare etc and what you want to do when you get there,did you want to just dive or do sight seeing as well If you intend to see Australia have a look at the abyss web site but for inexpensive I think the Carribean would be hard to beat for value but you need to talk to someone who has dived a few times there. best of luck regards Peter So many dive destinations so little