Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Advance Open Water
teamfludd - 9/14/2007 1:15 PM
Category: General
Replies: 6

I`m going for my aow soon and was wondering what ppl thought are some of the better electives to take Deep and Nav. or mandatory, I"m thinking about Search and Recovery, Nigt, and Peak Performance Bouyance let me know your thought
NWKatShark - 9/15/2007 10:45 AM
Depends on what you plan to do with your diving knowledge and abilities in the future. Professionally, I`d seek on-going training that would apply to my career path. Recreationally, it would depend on the type of diving you want to do or think you might encounter. Deep Diver, yes. Drysuit Diver if you plan on diving cold water. Navigation, always a wise choice for limited viz or disorientation, etc, etc. Look at the benefits of each elective and how it might help your future diving abilities. Good luck and practice, practice, practice.
SKEETER - 9/15/2007 1:23 PM
Larry has in the bag. I live in S. Fl so dry suit not needed. But I love to dive wrecks so. Deep diving, navigation, wreck. You know if you fined the type of diving you like. Work around that type of diving.
Laurie - 9/15/2007 7:40 PM
I just finished my AOW- I did navigational- which I found helpful, deep which I`m glad I did, night and loved that, buoyancy which was good, and search and rescue, which was not all that great. don`t know if that will help at all, coming from a newbie. Good luck to you though.
fishome25 - 9/18/2007 6:41 PM
pp bouyancy
kcdiver - 9/19/2007 9:42 PM
In my opinion Peak is a must. Controlling and understanding bouyancy will help you no mater what kind of diving you want to do. After that, look into what interest you. I personally like night, wreck and search and recovery.
psjanssen - 9/20/2007 1:55 PM
If you are going for your PADI AOW cert Deep, and Nav are required. Most places have you do night as well. As was stated before, PPB is a good class to take it will help you with your diving no matter where you dive. It will mainly help with your air consumption, and over all comfort in the water. I would suggest taking a good look at what kind of diving you plan on doing, and where you would like to go with your diving (ie. do you eventually plan on going pro). If you don`t plan on going for your DM, then take some fun classes UW Photography, Search and Recovery. Or go easy and do your Boat, Computer/Multi level. When you do decide to get your AOW like I said take a good long look at what you want to do down the road and pick your specialties accordingly. Just remember the PADI motto "If you`re not learning we`re not earning" :) Good luck to you Scott J