Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Can anyone give me any idea’s or advice?
Loren_Sangster - 7/28/2010 9:46 PM
Category: New Diver Q&A
Replies: 13

Off the bat, I’d like to just say please excuse me of my ignorance on this matter. Basically what I’m curious about isnt exactly scuba diving as a whole, however, it is involved. You see, I’m 25 years old now and since as long as I can remember I’ve always wanted to live in the caribbean and own my own boating/scuba company, so I can take vacationers out for the day. The catch is, I have 0 boating experience. Its ust something I didnt really grow up with, though I’ve always had the passion for it. In order to run any sort of boating busniess, you must need to Captians License which is extremely difficult to get. For years I’ve tried to land a job on a boat or something along those lines, which would give me some knowledge and help get my foot in the door but nobody is willing to hire someone without any experience. I’m not big into the military route (navy, coast gaurd, etc.) So my question is this... I know that I’m starting out a little late at the age of 25 and all, but... does anyone have any information on how I can get things started for myself to achieve a captians licenses or know of any boating position I might be able to get my hands on? Honestly.... any information whatsoever would be a huge help and greatly appreciated. Please, understand.. it’s my dream and I need all the help and information I can get, as I’m more or less a baby when it comes to my knowledge on the matter. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thank you for your time, if you’ve read all of this and I’ll keep my fingers crossed for some positive responses. 

- Loren
Subscribed
seawolfdiving - 7/28/2010 11:03 PM

If you feel like relocating you might check out http://www.fkcc.edu/

They offer programs in Marine Engineering & Just about everything to do with Diving and Dive Business.
Subscribed
Greg - 7/29/2010 10:41 AM

One way to get some boating experience is to buy a cheap boat, as long as it floats, and start boating. Build a log of your boat trips. Maybe learn small engine repair as well. Then you’ll end up with more experience under your belt and you’ll have more to talk about when you’re in an interview.

I share your same dream...to live on an island and run a scuba business one day. I don’t have much experience with boats either...so I’m going to follow my own advice one day and buy a "fixer upper" and just start learning. Buy some old, cheap engines and take them apart and reassemble them. The more handy you are, the more of an asset you become.

Good luck!
Subscribed
LatitudeAdjustment - 7/29/2010 1:13 PM

Maybe it’s because I live at the shore but our communty college offers outboard motor repair, both beginner and advanced.

Local sailing clubs, USCG Aux. and others offer small boating courses which you need to run that above mentioned outboard motor in most states.

On Meet-up you can find local sailing groups where you can get in some boating experience sailing on someone elses boat for free or a rental, here my share of a rental is $47 a day.

Get your DM rating, that will give you some background running a shop and you’ll need it later to guide guest.

Being a DM will also open some doors to jobs on liveaboards where you will get boco hours onboard but not boco dollars.

Get a logbook going, I was told by a Captain that even hours you are a guest on a diveboat count toward the total.
Subscribed
SCUBASMITTY - 7/29/2010 1:24 PM
cheap and easy ! worked for me ....http://www.marinersschool.com/?gclid=CP3ukuGhnZwCFQ6jagodfnlSdA

600.00 for a six pack lic on line as far as diving ed is concerned check out HALLS DIVING CENTER, in marathon fla, 800-331-hall
Subscribed
Pescador - 7/29/2010 3:02 PM
Learning about boating and other marine related activities is not something you can pick up overnight. We used to call guys who go in green and get a Captains License, PAPER CAPTAINS and I don’t even think you can do that without documented sea-time. Just means you have the paper license but would be unreliable in most situations you will inevitably find yourself in as the Captain of a ship/yacht/boat. Since you said you don’t have what it takes to join the NAVY or Coast Guard, I would suggest looking into getting a job on a tugboat or similar maritme industry occupation. That will give you an idea if its really what you want {living on board is not as easy as it sounds} Its more like surviving on board . You will have to start at the bottom . Anyway , that way if its not what you thought it would be you are not in the hole financially with a boat, and you can use the companies equipment to get experience while also earning a paycheck to finance the future endeavors. However let me say to you that if it is your dream to do this , if you really want to be "One with the Sea" you will find a way to do it. I think it is a very worthwhile endeavor and the experience you gain will be worth the wait once you arrive at the destination. Good Luck Bro!!
Subscribed
SCUBASMITTY - 7/30/2010 12:03 AM
don’t worry about other people’s OPINION, do what you can with what’s available to you... you have to clep/test any skill’s you have learned either from book’s/internet, it doesn’t matter EXPERIENCE takes precedence over academic’s anytime !!! TIP:- wether the vessel is sea worthy or not does NOT matter if it is REGISTERED to YOU counts as sea time....the size of the vessel is what count’s ! buy a derelict from the local boat yard(yeah they are everywhere) the biggest you can find,then register it ! if it floats thats a plus(for you)but it doesn’t have to. in this game SIZE MATTERS ! B T W the longer you have said registered vessel, and the capt’n lic, the cheaper the insurance on you’r private dream boat will be !
Subscribed
Loren_Sangster - 7/30/2010 2:58 PM
hey thanks for the info on the site Ron (seawolfdiving)! That actually works perfect since I was planning to move down to Florida anyway since i want to get to the caribbean eventually and Florida is sort of my stepping stone to get ther so to speak. The school looks awesome and perfect for me! I think I’m going to apply. Did you go there before, or how did you hear about it?
Subscribed
Loren_Sangster - 7/30/2010 3:00 PM
Also thanks everyone for all the feedback! Honestly, I appreciate it a ton. I’m going to look into every corner of the info thats been given to me. Greg, that sounds like a good plan by the way. Maybe we can both get the experience and open the boat/dive company together one day hahaha!
Subscribed
seawolfdiving - 7/30/2010 4:29 PM

Yes, I attended a while ago. I got my A.S. in Dive technology & Business from them.

It’s a great school if you can afford the Key West cost of living...

Subscribed
SeaGoat - 7/30/2010 7:02 PM

If cash is an issue (or even if it’s not), you might want to go to the local yacht club and see if anyone needs crew members. It’s worked for me on a few occasions. There are a lot of people out there who have big sailboats and are willing to teach you in exchange for being able to take their boat out more often. Sailing might not be your ultimate goal but it will get you experience and help you do some networking for crew jobs in the future.

As others have mentioned, becoming a DM is a great idea and getting CPR/First aid certified will also make you more employable.
Subscribed
blacksambellamy - 8/02/2010 7:29 AM

For years myself and some friends had a dream of forming a shipwreck salvage team. The years went on and nobody wanted to pony up any cash for a boat or equipment. I got fed up and at the age of 39 bought all the basics myself and left everyone behind. Sure i would like to have better equipment and a bigger boat,but if i waited around nothing would have happened. The point is i made the move and did something about my dream and now im learning more than ever. I have made some discoveries but have yet to dive on them.

It"s kinda funny how after i invested all my time and money all my old dive buddies now want in on my projects.....not happning buddies

So what im trying to say to you is you have to make some sort of move towards your goal or it will never happen....Start today

you can see all the equipment i bought and my salvage company at www.underwater-explorations.com
UWnewbee - 8/02/2010 12:14 PM
Loren,, you can contact the USCG, or even check their website for info, here in worcester on lake quinsigamond they have a boating safety course, i have a friend that has his captains license, he spent some time in the mass maritime acadamy down the cape, u can check them out too!.. Dana