Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

blood presure issue
Muckdivers - 7/17/2010 10:47 PM
Category: Health & Safety
Replies: 8

My wife and I are advanced PADI with 85 dives, last one was on 7/4/2010. We booked a dive in Cancun Mexico 7/17/10. Flew in from Indiana, brought our gear with us, $. Paid up ready to do a boat dive with (blank). Filled out the dive release. I put down that I take blood presure meds and that my presure is great, My doctor is ok with me diving. They REFUSED to take us out! Now totally BUMMED!!!!!!!!!! We never read anything about anyone getting refused for this and we get alot of mags, books, we are members of DAN and understand there point of view on BP. We felt very informed or so we thought. Do I have to Lie on these dive release forms to do a dive? I am not comfortable with lieing, But I love diving!
Subscribed
daz88 - 7/18/2010 12:44 AM
that’s sucks, try calling another dive operation
Subscribed
Dougc - 7/18/2010 8:15 PM
A current (within two years) PADI medical statement signed by your doctor would have circumvented that situation. I recommend to all of my students to keep one with their dive log.
Subscribed
divergirl50 - 7/20/2010 7:09 PM

Good idea on the medical certificate...but better to just keep your medical condition to yourself if it is under control is my thoughts.

Subscribed
Muckdivers - 7/25/2010 2:05 PM

Had to run around to get money refunded, took half the day. no time to re schedual due to flying. thanks!
Subscribed
Muckdivers - 7/25/2010 2:19 PM
Dive operators and captain, said even a doctors note would not work. BP is a risk they will not take and if you check yes to any ? on the dive release they will NOT take you!
Subscribed
Muckdivers - 7/25/2010 2:33 PM

I agree, we thought about useing the other dive op which was all we seen. but they were next door to this one. We were the only divers that day. It would have been so cool to get all the attention from the dive guide. So anyway we did a snorkle trip with our gear. it was very nice.
Subscribed
divergirl50 - 7/25/2010 5:05 PM

Gosh I know so many divers that take BP meds I am probably the only one that doesn’t. They just dont mention it. It would be bad if you were not in tune to your own medical health however and had high BP and didnt take meds but if you know your is under control then you should not have any problems. By the way these people taking BP meds dive alot. You do have to watch that your Bp med does not contain a diuretic or if it does you need to drink double the water!! You should ask your pharmacist next time you refill or you might be able to get that info online.

Subscribed
scubaclay - 7/26/2010 4:04 PM
With in their rights to refuse yoy BUT still not right.