Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Honestly, does DiveBuddy stand a chance against MySpace and FaceBook?
Anonymous - 9/02/2007 1:49 PM
Category: Anonymous
Replies: 8

Speak honestly hear, it will only help. DiveBuddy is a niche social network...designed just for scuba divers. MySpace and FaceBook are much, MUCH larger...but are designed for all types of people. As a scuba diver, which type of social network would you rather belong to? One that caters to all types of people OR one designed exclusively for scuba divers, and why?

When it comes to scuba diving and finding a partner, does divebuddy.com have everything you need to make an initial decision about someone?

When it comes to information sharing and photos, does divebuddy.com deliver it all in an easy-to-use, functional format?

Can you provide any other suggestions on how to improve the sites popularity, functionality, useability, etc.?
Anonymous - 9/02/2007 5:53 PM
I am on DiveBuddy.com to find other divers and people interested in this sport. If i was looking for a romantic interest though, I don`t see myself trusting the Internet to find that special someone. And isn`t it more important to find someone with like interests anyway. If you really love diving and find someone who doesn`t like the water and would never dive, would you give up the sport for them? Ask those people who have done it already (or given up something else, ie, other sports or past times) and are now diving again. I know there are a few on this site. I think this site is doing great as it is, a place to hook up with like minded people interested in splashing into the water and doing some diving.
Anonymous - 9/02/2007 5:57 PM
FACE BOOK SPAMS YOUR FREINDS ON YOUR EMAIL LIST . AND THEN MY SPACE IS A PERV SITE . DIVE BUDDY OFFERS A SIMPLE AND EASY WAY TO MEET DIVERS , THAT WANT TO DIVE .IF YOUR LOOKING FOR MORE THAN A DIVE BUDDY THAN THOSE ARE A GREAT PLACE TO BE PERVED ON . WANT TO MEET DECENT PEOPLE YOU SHARE THE SAME PASSION AS YOU DO ABOUT SCUBA DIVING THAN DIVEBUDDY IS A PLACE TO DO SO . GREG KEEPS IT CLEAN AND SAFE FOR ALL . THIS SITE IS DESIGNED FOR FAMILYS .THE OTHER SITES ARE LIKE A MEAT MARKET. SO YOU GET WHAT YOU PUT INTO IT . AS FAR AS DIVEBUDDY GOES . I HOPE IT BECOMES BIGGER THAN IT IS NOW . YOU GOTO ALOT OF OTHER SITES AND YOU GET WHAT I CALL "CYBER DIVERS` THE TALK THE TALK BUT YET YOU NEVER MEET AND DIVE WITH ANY OF THEM . DIVEBUDDY ISNT LIKE THAT . I HAVE DOVE WITH ALOT OF DIVERS FROM HERE
Anonymous - 9/04/2007 8:22 PM
Maybe not, but are either of those "diver specific" and allow you to seek out divers in your local area as easy as DB does?

MySpace and FaceBook are just too large of a sea to wade through to find divers in my local area.
Anonymous - 9/09/2007 5:48 PM
i would say yes it stands a chance. All the others are too broad and too commercialized. hopefully divebuddy will stay free of that crap. New here, hope this works out. I also advocate for NCDivers.com. If I cant post that...sorry.
Anonymous - 10/28/2007 10:01 AM
No it doesn`t That`s like saying, "Does a toaster stand a chance against a microwave?" I doubt this site was meant to compete with those sites and though numbers are fewer it`s a whole lot easier to find people with similar interests. Do you have any idea how long it takes to find divers on myspace let alone anyone interested in going to some of the same places?
Anonymous - 11/01/2007 7:52 AM
Not only does DiveBuddy.com stand a chance against those juggernauts, well-built specialty networking sites will probably replace them. No annoying advertising, no invasive cookies, no spam, no lurkers or predators. And a moderator who pulls the weeds before they get out of control. Frankly, I`d like to license the code to set up a site for historical re-enactors.
Anonymous - 12/08/2007 8:09 PM
I`ve actually never visited myspace or facebook... I found divebuddy searching for just that "dive buddies" both new and veterans in the sport; looking for both recreation and experience... Divebuddy serves just that purpose.. Dive well Maurice