Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Term question concerning diving mask
Greenoceaneyes - 6/07/2010 1:30 PM
Category: Equipment
Replies: 5

Hello Everybody,

I’m translating a diving mask (recreational) instruction manual and I need to know what does "purge bulb" mean? Anybody has an idea? Does it mean air purge valve? And how does that connect with a mask?

This is the context:
"Always check every part including Purge Bulb (if any) of the product before use."

Any ideas will be appreciated. Thanks. :)

Greenoceaneyes
seawolfdiving - 6/07/2010 6:06 PM

Sounds like the purge valve... Unless, maybe it’s some sort of specialty mask...?

Rich-D-Fish - 6/07/2010 6:33 PM
There are a few masks on the market with a purge valve in the bottom of the nose cavity. I suppose the theory is that it makes it easier to exhale through your nose? I have never used one, but I have heard some people comment that the valve makes it a little more difficult to pinch your nose when you need to equalize. In my opinion it’s just a gadget.
Granitehawk - 6/07/2010 9:15 PM

Purge bulb or valve is a one way valve in the nose peice of the mask and must be checked for tears or dirt before each dive to ensure it does not leak.

I use a mask with this feature and have had some good luck with it myself
SCUBASMITTY - 6/07/2010 10:45 PM
if you INHALE thru your nose,and the mask stays on your face, the valve is working,(if there is one) if you exhale while HOLDING the mask to your face and you hear/lose pressure thru the valve of the mask, it is working JUST FINE.a nasal/clearance valve is used to expel excess water from the mask if so equipped, maskes that do NOT have this feature BUILT IN will have to be cleared by the AIR RISES method.- if this does not answer your question, then ask them for a 

DIAGRAM !
Subscribed
Greenoceaneyes - 6/08/2010 1:36 AM
Thank you guys!!! :) You are fantastic! ;)