Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Photography Equipment
Zoltrac - 6/01/2010 8:42 AM
Category: Photography
Replies: 7

Anyone have any advice on photography equipment? My current point and shoot camera is as basic as underwater cameras come. It is an 5.0 mega pixel Intova with a built in flash.

I have been trying to decide if I want to suck it up and get a housing for my Nikon SLR ($1,500) plus strobes or go with a point and shoot such as SeaLife or Sea & Sea ($600) plus strobes.

There seems to be upsides and downsides to both. My buddies all dive with SLR’s, so I have no reference on the point and shoot side of the house to compare with other than my cheap camera.

Hoping to get some input from other divers and what equipment they like and see some examples. Especially from other point and shoots.
Rich-D-Fish - 6/01/2010 11:03 AM
I just made the very jump you are speaking. My advice would be to stick with the Point & shoot, but add a strobe for now. Practice with the strobe for a while, as there are a whole new set of lessons to learn. Then later, if you still want to, shell out big dough for the dslr housing. I would suggest you do your homework and buy a strobe for your P&S that will work with your dslr setup down the road. A good new strobe will cost you $500-750 with a tray and arm. A dslr rig with two strobes, plus ports and lenses will run you well over $3,000.00. And then the learning curve starts all over again. You might also want to upgrade your 5mp Intova to a newer model. I think the Intova 10mp model with a housing can be found as a package for under $300.00. Good luck.
Subscribed
Zoltrac - 6/03/2010 10:36 AM
I have done the web site research. I am hoping to see real examples from point and shoot camera systems.

I am leaning towards the SeaLife DC1200 Elite.
UWnewbee - 6/03/2010 11:42 AM
 I know the feeling,,, I myself have a point n shoot,,, I looked into a housing for my Canon Rebel digital, $1500.00 for a housing,,, one grain of sand or anything breaking the seal,, bye bye camera, so ill stick with the point n shoot U/W camera
Subscribed
SCUBASMITTY - 6/03/2010 1:20 PM
I was looking at the jvc picsio, I bought one from walley world and was going to piece a system together but when I found out that the battery life expectantcy was less then 3 yrs, and needed to be sent in to be replaced,(usb charging)no user serviceable battery,I decided to return and re-think this out. I wanted to record movies as well as stills. I found the L22 nikon to fit my bill, you can shoot 29 min max at 2gb per film. good enough for a little movie,as well as good still’s check it out at. http://ikelite.com/web_two/nik_l22.html
daz88 - 6/08/2010 3:17 PM

I use an old Canon P&S in a Canon housing. (Canon makes lots of underwater housings for many of their P&Ss) I have been using it underwater for 5 years now with never a problem. I miss my SLR when I"m underwater, but for the cost of the housings, strobes, cables, etc..........I’ll stick with my P&S. Also the style diving I like to do, it would be too difficult to handle a big SLR with strobes where I want to go. AND ....I carry enuff stuff when I travel (suitcase, dive bag, and my camera bag is always my carryon), there is no way I can take another case along with all the underwater equipment for the SLR.

But this is just me. Everyone has to figure out what you want to do with what you got, and what works for you. good luck and take lots of pix whatever you do. :)
Subscribed
Zoltrac - 6/14/2010 9:22 AM
I ended up getting the Sealife DC 1200 elite camera on Friday. I will get to test it out next weekend and will give a quick review after that if any one is looking at the same camera.
Subscribed
alvinj88 - 7/03/2010 8:25 AM
I use an old ikelite 6851, here check this out:

http://www.photofide.com/video/2010-05-29-nicole-underwater