Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Bonaire vs. Curacao?
Scubapilot17 - 4/02/2010 4:21 PM
Category: Travel
Replies: 5

Is the diving different in Curacao as opposed to Bonaire? I’ve been to Bonaire and looking for somewhere different to dive. Since both are in the Netherlands Antilles is the underworld different?
jnowak100 - 4/04/2010 9:30 PM
I was diving in Curacao 2/28-3/7/10 awesome diving, with Niels Jorrison of Divechartercuracao.com, basically Niels, boat capt Kevin and a small fast boat. wreck dive, shore dives, boat dives, drift dives, night dives , great coral reefs. Most days it was just Niels and me. We went to a lot of dive sites where there was not another dive boat in sight. Niels only takes advanced divers. I stayed with seahorizonapartments.com a small apartment complex, I had a thatched roof hut (with a/c kitchenette and hot showers) very quite. I ate in local restaurants. So this was anything but "all-inclusive" but really awesome dives great time and a fantastic DM.
sharon - 4/07/2010 11:58 PM

Yes - Bonaire and Curacao are somewhat similar diving. They have similar types of sites (sloping sand and patch reef, walls) but Curacao has more wrecks. There are several resorts that offer boat dives, but shore dives are super easy. 

Also, Curacao has more industry and less tourism than Bonaire, I don’t recommend renting a jeep like you do in Bonaire - its pretty industrial city and built up, so do take the Dive Bus! the folks there are great. It seems more real than Bonaire - regular folks living and working there - give it a try!!
legaleagle - 4/09/2010 12:49 PM
If you go to Curacao be sure to try the DiveBus - http://www.the-dive-bus.com/
Subscribed
Scubapilot17 - 4/16/2010 10:55 PM
Is there any good wall diving in Caraçao?
rdive - 4/20/2010 10:51 AM

Caracas Baai, Directors Bay, Bullenbaai are all walls or steep drop off.

Towards the east are some very good an undisturbed diving but the weather is a factor. If it’s windy no dive operator will take you there. It’s only accessible by boat on very good and calm days.

Then you have Klein Curacao. Two to three hour boat trip from the main island. Good diving, but it’s an all day event.