Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Just back from Southern Caribbean Cruise
Skipster - 3/02/2010 4:51 PM
Category: Travel
Replies: 8

My wife and I celebrated our 15th anniversary and I got to go diving at:
  • St. Thomas
  • Antigua
  • St. Lucia
  • Barbados
  • Tortola

Saw lots of good stuff; reef sharks, octopus, hawkbill turtles, sea snake, spotted brown morays, etc.
LatitudeAdjustment - 3/03/2010 11:05 AM
From Skipster:

Saw lots of good stuff; reef sharks, octopus, hawkbill turtles, sea snake, spotted brown morays, etc.

Damm, as if the Lionfish were not enough of a problem, now we have sea snakes in the Atlantic!?
Subscribed
Diver_Down - 3/06/2010 9:32 AM

Skiptser,

Congratulations on the 15th year milestone and I’m glad to hear you had a great time.
Subscribed
Skipster - 3/06/2010 11:09 PM
Thanks, Diver Down!
Subscribed
CaribbeanBlue - 4/15/2010 8:26 AM

Hi Skipster,

I plan on my 1st cruise with my girl friend in 1-11. Did you dive with local dive shops or set it up with the cruise line? Plan on doing the same thing,

Thanks CaribbeanBlue
Subscribed
Skipster - 4/15/2010 5:28 PM
From CaribbeanBlue:

Hi Skipster,

I plan on my 1st cruise with my girl friend in 1-11. Did you dive with local dive shops or set it up with the cruise line? Plan on doing the same thing,

Thanks CaribbeanBlue

Hi CB...

The cruise offered diving on only two of the ports (it was 3 and one cancelled). So, I did the other 3 on my own (which, as you might know, they advise against in case somethings happens and you are late... book with them, the ship waits... book on your own and something happens; ship leaves without you and you are responsible for catching up to it at the next port).

I asked around on here and did some research on my own and found dive shops at all three and had a blast on all the dives.

BTW... you will LOVE cruises... my bride and I try to do 2 per year.

Where are you guys going? What cruise line?
Subscribed
CaribbeanBlue - 4/15/2010 6:12 PM

Hi Skipster,

Was there a big difference in price compared with the cruise line? And were they boat dives or shore? I’d like to go to the Eastern Caribbean, and what cruise line do you go on? I’ve talked to several people and they favor Royal Caribean. Any reccommendations?

CB
Subscribed
Skipster - 4/15/2010 7:16 PM

We haven’t been on Royal Caribbean. We have been on Carnival, Norwegian Cruise Lines and Princess Cruises. We prefer Princess at this point. The dives were all boat dives (with the exception of one of the dives in St Lucia - but it was the most awesome shore dive I have been on yet). Booking on your own only saves about $20 per dive day. So, guess I am saying that it is better, if available, to dive with the cruise line.

Also, since your g/f doesn’t dive, be sure to check when you book if she is even allowed to go along on the dive boat. My wife doesn’t dive, but she was able to go along on two of the trips as a "passenger only."