Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

San Diego Diving
raygun - 2/22/2010 2:54 PM
Category: Travel
Replies: 7

Can anyone suggest a dive operator and/or some good dive sites in the San Diego,Ca. area? I am planning a trip there in early April and I definitely want to get at least one day of diving in.
BgDmbRngr - 2/22/2010 7:54 PM
Depends on what type of dives you are looking for. There are plenty of wrecks you can dive on. The water is pretty cold this time of year though. There are 2 dive charters right by the Sea world Marina Area. Don’t remember both their names though.
Rich-D-Fish - 2/23/2010 12:39 AM
Here’s a link to all the info you will need http://www.californiadiveboats.com/

San Diego boats are at the bottom of the list.

Click on each dive boat and it will take you to their website. Those websites should fill on in all the blanks. I can personally recommend the LoisAnn (good comprehensive website too to cover the dive sites). I’ve heard lots of good things about the Marissa. The highlight wreck down there is the Yukon. My personal favorite is the Ruby-E. Bring a good dive light.
joelp57 - 2/23/2010 9:10 AM

I second what someone else said about it depending upon what kind of diving you want to do. There are good shore dives around La Jolla and some excellent wrecks. The water is cold, but it’s usually pretty frigid year round anyway. A lot of things will also depend on where you’re staying in the San Diego area.

Have fun and good luck!
Rich-D-Fish - 2/23/2010 9:22 AM
Good point Joel. Here is a link to info on some of the best shore dive spots in the area: http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/USA_West/CalS/index.htm
Subscribed
Scubapilot17 - 2/26/2010 12:56 AM
Is a 7mm enough or is a dry suit your best option for diving here?
Rich-D-Fish - 2/26/2010 3:02 AM
In my opinion a 7 mil is fine just about all the time anywher in So Cal. Sure there are times when I hit a thermocline that dropped the temp below 50 degrees and I wished I had the luxury of a dry suit. But for the most part the water ranges from upper 50’s to low 70’s. Just depends on the time of year and how deep you are planning to dive.
samaniegodr - 3/03/2010 8:01 PM

if you havent found a spot...LA JOLLA SHORES is the eaasiest place to get to.