SAND in my regulator purge button etc.
DiveGirl55 - 8/05/2007 2:39 PM
Category: General
Replies: 9

After a crappy beach dive Saturday in Laguna Beach, I came back with sand EVERYWHERE! It was my first beach dive ever and the first time of experiencing sand all over and in my equipment. When I pressed the octo purge button, it went to gritty sounding and slowly. HOW DO I REMOVE THE SAND from my gear? THANKS everyone!
VaDiver95 - 8/05/2007 3:29 PM
What kind of reg do you have? I use SCUBAPRO and am able to remove the cover and clean it up. Have you tried soaking it in a dunk tank and shaking it around?
Subscribed
DiveGirl55 - 8/05/2007 4:01 PM
Is it okay to SUBMERGE the whole reg/octo/etc. into water? ALSO the inflator hose?
Subscribed
DiveGirl55 - 8/05/2007 4:02 PM
I have MARES octo and MARES LIMITED EDITION METAL TECH Reg
grandpoobah - 8/06/2007 9:51 AM
You should always soak your reg / computer in fresh water after each dive. I have a large bucket full of fresh water and dump all my gear in it to clean off the saltwater or sand.
SKEETER - 8/06/2007 10:30 AM
I have a large Collier that I submerge all my gear into. I add a 1/2 cup of simple green to clean and add a fresh clean sent. After a few dives or if I not going to dive for a few weeks I put in a 1/4 cup of salt away too. soak and hang! As for the sand in the regs, swish them around with air supply left in tanks push purge and get nice and clean.
Greg - 8/06/2007 12:56 PM
You should clean your regs in fresh water after each dive...just be sure NOT to push the purge button if it`s off the tank (without pressure in the hoses)...otherwise you risk getting water inside the hoses and that`s not good. I use soapy water a lot of times to clean them out even better. Or water with a very small amount of bleach.
Subscribed
DiveGirl55 - 8/07/2007 11:22 AM
Argh, I wish I would have read your info GREG, I DID purge the buttons OUT of water, I had to, because sand got in them. Won`t the fresh water eventually DRY out from inside the reg?
VaDiver95 - 8/08/2007 4:16 PM
When I rinse my regs in the sink I push the purge with no problem--I get them service every year and everything looks great inside. One thing though...use a cap to cover the opening in the 1st stage--you don`t want water in there.
Dorkfish - 8/09/2007 5:37 PM
Something I`ve learned from lake diving is that if there is no freshwater rinse available at your entry/exit locale, supply your own post-dive rinse in a water bottle or 1 gallon jug.

A 1 gallon jug should provide you enough water to rinse most everything off prior to turning off the lines, purging, and tear down. Hopefully this will help clear up some of the issue.

Another idea is if you have a gear tub that you use for transporting your gear to/from the site, they can make great rinse tubs prior to tear down. But again, you may have to provide your own water.

I have 2 cheats at my disposal. I own a portable camp shower and have a dive box I can use to dunk/rinse if needed.