Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Diving in Kona (Big island)
sk290 - 9/15/2009 12:22 PM
Category: Travel
Replies: 5

I’ve posted this subject in this forum before but didn’t really get a lot of information so I thought I’d try it again.

Going to Kona next month and would like some input on dive ops and sites if anyone has been there. I want to make sure to avoid the ’cattle’ operations. I’ve also heard that there are a couple of shore dive spots in the island as well.

Anyone?

Sandra
AKAttack1 - 9/15/2009 7:07 PM
I lived in Hawaii for 3 Years I dove in Kona quite a bit. There are GREAT night dive options in Kona. MANTAS GALORE!!! also ask the locals about turtle beach. you can head right in the water off the beach there and after getting past the breakwater there is some awsome caves to play in. My dive master is in Maui if you make it over there I can hook you up with a great bunch of divers. Good luck.

A.K.
Subscribed
sk290 - 9/19/2009 12:27 AM
Great, thanks! :)

Sandra
konasteve - 9/23/2009 8:06 PM

aloha, i live in west hawaii in captain cook.

I would be happy to help you with locating some good shore dives.
Subscribed
sk290 - 9/24/2009 1:28 AM
Hi Steve,

First of all, welcome to the site. You’ll meet lots of nice people here.

I am thrilled that someone has info on Kona. I had posted on the forum back in May when I was there but didn’t get any replies. We’ll be there from the 5th through the 19th of October. I’ll email you once we have all the reservations confirmed and we can meet up for some diving if you have the time.

Mahalo,

Sandra
h2ofria - 9/28/2009 11:53 AM

I dove Kona in June with Big Island Divers. They were a good group but they stuffed 12 divers plus a couple of Dive Masters on to a boat that would have been comfortable with 10 divers total. We were on one of the smaller boats out there. Any of the outfits that advertise a lot were running cattle boat operations - you know who I mean.

One thing Big Island did was take our gear after each dive trip including the final dive, clean it and dry it. I just picked up the gear on the way to the airport. It was nice and dry.