Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Unchartered Waters
RonSubmerged - 9/06/2009 8:41 PM
Category: Health & Safety
Replies: 5

Does anyone know how regular divers like most of us on here can confirm a body of water is not contaminated, before diving and getting some sort of flesh eating bacteria?? Well not that bad I hope.

My buddy and I have discussed a few different locations around where we live that are not dive sites but would be cool to explore. I want to know how to test the waters to make sure there is not a harmful presence. Some of these sites could have traces of vehicle fluids, bacteria, etc.

Any ideas??
seawolfdiving - 9/06/2009 11:09 PM
Generally speaking, public health officials do test for water quality in areas that are “public swimming areas” i.e., beaches, recreational lakes, parks, etc… They also test drinking water sources. The water in other areas is not usually tested, (at least not regularly) unless there is a problem with contamination or someone reports a possible problem relating to the public health.

You could contact an environmental lab in your area that will test water quality (for a fee). They will advise you on the sampling protocol and requirements.

You can also go to your state’s Department of Environmental Protection or even the USGS website and search for surface waters information.

Preventing exposure is the optimum solution to this problem. When you get to the dive site, check it out. If it stinks, appears contaminated, has dead fish and dead animals in it, etc... then don’t dive in it.

As for public safety or working divers, “not diving” may not be an option. In this case dive dry with a full face mask system and follow dark water diving & de-con protocol.
DiveBuddyChgo - 9/07/2009 8:15 AM
There are test kits.. Any dive club should already have one on hand.. Ask you local fire dept. dive resue friends where to get a kit.. Esp. look out for the Goose Poop..
Mike
LatitudeAdjustment - 9/07/2009 7:41 PM
PH can be a problem too! I heard about this clear lake near Hazleton Pa. and carried in the gear on a dirt bike. No life of any kind in the water which is why it was so clear, I was later told it was acid runoff from a mine.
trini_diver - 9/20/2009 12:18 AM
Health authorities in each county/state or supposed to be checking the toxicity of waters every so often. check with the health authorities if planning a dive in an unknown location.
Nitrojunki - 9/20/2009 12:22 AM
I have a rule, If fish or any other type of wild life are livving in it then so can I.