Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Aqualung Reg!!
1maurscuba - 8/31/2009 3:41 PM
Category: Equipment
Replies: 13

Hi everyone, I’m purchasing my reg tonight. It’s either going to be the Aqualung Kronos Supreme or the 2009 Titan lx Supreme.

Does anyone have either reg or an opinion or anything you know would be appreciated. Thanks, Maureen
VaDiver95 - 8/31/2009 3:59 PM
I don’t have any experience with these regs, but was wondering why you narrowed it down to these choices? Any specific reasons?
divemaiden - 8/31/2009 4:29 PM
One of my dive magazines recently had ratings for a number of regs. I’ll see if i can find it and let you know if either of those regs are in there, what their rating is.
divemaiden - 8/31/2009 4:52 PM

Okay, here’s the scoop. The issue of the mag I was looking for is apparently the one i took to work to read at lunch, and left it there. However, I did find another mag that rated the Aqua Lung Titan LX as the editor’s pick out of the 6 regs which they rated. But I don’t know how it would compare the the other aqua lung model as that one wasn’t in this mag.

Do both models have the ACD device? That’s a nice option in a first stage. Another thing you might want to consider is how many LP and HP ports does it have? I like having 2 HP ports as I have a dive computer that remotely tells me how much gas I have, but I also like to have a back-up spg. You can’t do that with only 1 hp port. But that’s just something for consideration. You don’t have to have 2 hp ports, and if neither of your choices has 2 hp ports, then it’s a non-issue anyway.

Good luck
seawolfdiving - 8/31/2009 5:15 PM

What type of diving are you planning to do with your regulators?

When I choose a regulator (or any dive gear) I first look at the type of diving that I will most likely be doing, and then I select the gear that is best suited for that type of diving.

For instance: Are you planning to do a lot of deep diving? There are regs that are not so great deeper than 60fsw... and then there are other regs that are particularly well suited for deeper diving.

Are you planning on doing any cold water diving? Many regulators are not well suited for diving in water that is colder than 40deg F due to freezing issues. Some regulators are "environmentalized" or sealed so that they can meet the challanges of cold water diving.

Are you planning on doing wreck pen. or cave diving? or possibally using your regs on high pressure steel tanks? If so then you might want to have your regulator first stage set up with DIN fittings instead of the typical yoke fittings.

If you are not sure of the type of diving you want to use your regulator for, then I recomment you purchase one that will handle the most extreme diving situation that you think you might encounter. Better to be over prepared than underprepared...

I use APEX or Poseidon on all of my dives. Although I’m liking my APEX more these days (they are easier to get parts for).

That’s just my two cents worth....

Ron sends
jimran - 8/31/2009 6:33 PM
apex atx200 for 9 years and still like new no problems
Nitrojunki - 8/31/2009 9:25 PM
I own a Titan lx. I love this reg. I use it as my primary. I have logged 41deg dives in the bottom of quarries with it and have never had a problem with it. Breaths effortlessly in my opionion. Hope this helps.
daz88 - 9/01/2009 8:35 AM
I’ve got a Titan LX. Been using it for 4 years with no problems. Still looks like new even. When I bought mine I, decided on the LX for many reasons. But one reason, I had seen the LX as rental gear in several dive shops. I talked with one manager at one shop and said "the LX is a work horse, it just keeps going and going." I dive here in about 50-60 degree water at anywhere between 30- 60’ mostly.(40-45 dives in Hawaii) Dove about 20 dives at 100-130’ with never a problem or difficulty breathing at depth.
scubaclay - 9/01/2009 12:26 PM

The bottom line is if you like it, and it works for you. Then it is thr right one. I use sherwood regs, either the Maximus or the Magnum, and they both do a good job for me. It is what you are comfortable with, and what breaths well that is improtant.

Clay
MightyMo - 9/01/2009 3:44 PM
You can’t beat the ACD (auto closure device) feature - worth every penny more. Get the Legend model. I love mine.
RonSubmerged - 9/01/2009 8:32 PM
I used to have the Titan LX way back when. I now use the Cressi Ellipse and I love it. It is one of the best regs I have ever used, though can be pricey.
King - 9/02/2009 12:16 AM

The Titan is nice, I would recomment getting the Environmentally Sealed version (cold water). It is very light.

Keith
JudyNorcross - 9/03/2009 7:32 AM
I have the Titan lx supreme Very comfortable new design mouth peice So far a great reg enjoy
Diving4Fun - 9/14/2009 8:36 AM

So what did you buy?

I am curious as my ScubaPro needs to be replaced. I have had my Octo in to the LDS 4x and still freeflows!