Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

JAMAICA DIVING/SNORKLE?!?
Loren_Sangster - 8/27/2009 10:53 AM
Category: New Diver Q&A
Replies: 6

Hey hey.. So I’m going to Negril in 43 days. I’m taking my mom for her 62nd birthday and I’m looking to get a little diving and/or snorkeling in while im there. Does anyone have any good suggestions of sites or compies/charters to go through?
Subscribed
Loren_Sangster - 8/27/2009 11:51 AM
thanks for the feedback. I’m staying at Sunset at the Palms which is a smaller resort and I dont believe they have a catamaran but I’m sure they’ll know of something around the area. Thanks for the tip!
divemaiden - 8/27/2009 8:11 PM
Sorry. When I went to Jamaica I stayed in Ochos Rios and did one dive from my resort. Hopefully, the diving/snorkling is better in Negril. In Ochos there was absolutely no life underwater (and you’d think they’d take me to the best dive site to make me want to go out with them again). It was just plain, empty sand. No reefs, no fish, no nothing. The beach off the resort however, had thousands of spiny sea urchins, so bring some protective water waders.
daz88 - 8/28/2009 2:50 AM
I was in Nergil years ago. Totally cool diving, but it was about 12 years ago, don’t know what it looks like now. But when I was there all kinds of coral and tons of fish! And GREAT snorkeling from the beach! (the Grand Lido Resort)Hopefully still the same. Please give us an update after you make a few dives. I’ve love to go back there, it was one of the best vacations I ever had!
Subscribed
Loren_Sangster - 8/28/2009 9:54 AM
awesome! Some mixed feedback. Hopefully I’ll find some interesting stuff in the waters of Negril. I appreciate the input! I’ll def keep you updated and let you know how it goes and if Negril would be worth going back to check out again!
SeaGoat - 8/29/2009 9:49 PM
I haven’t been to Negril but I’d like to hear how it goes. My mom and I are talking about going in December. Snorkeling is definitely in the plans. (She can’t dive.)