Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

STEEL TANKS AND RUST
MidTennDiver - 8/25/2009 9:44 PM
Category: Equipment
Replies: 5

Anyone able to comment on how soon steel tanks can be expected to start getting rust inside them? I recently took my steel tank to the LDS for it’s annual visual inspection and refill. This tank is one year old and has had ONE tank of air run through it. I am now told there is rust inside and for $50.00 they’ll polish the inside and refill it. I find it hard to believe that rust would form that quickly and would appreciate any knowledgeable response.

BgDmbRngr - 8/26/2009 12:02 AM
sometimes you get what reffered to as flash rust from a hydro test or just a tiny bit of moisture. My steel tank had a small amount of rust after its first hydro and I cleaned it out myself. If you go and take the visual tank inspection class you can most likely use your steel tank as your test tank and clean it yourself. My LDS lets me clean my tanks there and I just have help him out and do a couple of shop tanks in return. The class pays for itself very fast depending on how many tanks you own.
scubaclay - 8/26/2009 9:46 AM

If you have gotten water or if the LDS has not changed its drying filter you can and wil get rust in them. A rolling would also mean a re certifiecation by hydro which could add flash rudt to the tank. I find this all of the time on thanks that come in from other shope. I change my filters twice a year no matter what, and I have my air certified by an outside agency.

Clay
OcalaJim - 8/26/2009 11:10 AM
moisture is the worst problem when getting a fill. personally, i only fill my tank with one reputable LDS and i always leave at least 500 psi in the tank
LatitudeAdjustment - 8/26/2009 11:50 AM

Clay, that’s what I was thinking when I saw his post. We "had" a LDS that hadn’t changed it’s filters and was pumping water into tanks and got expossed on Mo’s divers message board. It wasn’t long after that the shop closed.

Another problem is when the shop leaves the whip in the water bath and blows it out into your tank.

I think the LDS that certified me in Pa. did the same thing, one of my first 72’s rusted out within two years, they were the only shop that filled it and I never sucked that one dry.
jimran - 8/26/2009 9:06 PM
I had my tanks done and the place that does them do not dry the inside so the valve is put back on ,,well u know the rest of the story so I had to have 4 steel 95 rolled and redone 200.00 buck ,,they will not go back to them right,,,