Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Creature Feature Dive?
tray66 - 8/25/2009 2:21 PM
Category: Travel
Replies: 3

Anybody ever do the Creature Feature dive at Capt. Slate’s? Is it worth it?

Tom
LatitudeAdjustment - 8/25/2009 2:42 PM

My kids and I went out once with him not knowing it was a feeding, my kids refer to it as his stupid pet tricks. Interesting to watch, mostly yellowtails feeding but the barracuda, green morays, grouper and a few sharks, mostly nurse sharks show up.

A few years later my daughter and I were down there during an El Nino, the 4’ waves were too much for the locals so it was just us, a newly minted OW, Slate and a French magazine photographer. I was first in and the great barracuda came over to see if I was the bald guy with the food. Slate and the photog disappeared into a baitball of Yellowtail with Slates long spearo fins sticking out the bottom. The barracuda would zoom through the ball and you would see the strobes fire. I don’t know if the photog got anything other than pictures of Yellowtail snapper but I can see how Slate has lost a few mask and 2nd stage hoses!

Your results may vary!
divingbunny - 8/26/2009 4:51 PM
I have done the creature feature with Capt Slate and I enjoyed it. Several nurse sharks and a Goliath Grouper showed up for the feed. It was nice to be so up close to the sharks, I even got to kiss one. After the feed we went over to check out the fish on a shallow wreck nearby. It was an experience that was good for me and I would definately do it again.
keywest - 8/16/2012 10:57 PM
My 14-year old son and I did the Creature Feature dive this week. My son is inspired and wants to go again! If you want to be up close and personal with some of the Keys ocean life, this is definitely a worthwhile dive. Here’s a photo:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/floridakeys/7799804456/

It sure beats "Sea World"!