Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

New Dive Buddy
diverjay - 7/29/2009 11:40 AM
Category: General
Replies: 0

I find myself in an unsual situation for me. I have known for sometime and am now realizing that my current dive buddy (long time friend) does not have the passion for sport like I do. He has been certified for about 10 years and has about the same number of dives. He and his wife used to take a couple of vacations a year and that is when they dove. I on the other hand have only been diving since May of ’08 and achieved many more dives and am getting ready to take my rescue diver coarse next week. As my wife doesn’t dive I really don’t have anyone to dive with on a regular basis. In order to get wet I find myself going with our LDS instructors while they are teaching class on the checkout dives. We usually get a fun dive in at the end of the day, but as you can imagine the checkout dives aren’t that much fun for me. I will say that it does sharpen my skills because if I screw up they (the instructors) never fail to point it out to the class.

Anyway, I try to go diving at least once and sometimes twice a month. With three kids ages 9, 6, and 4 that is pretty good. Sometimes I get a full weekend and others I might just get a Saturday or Sunday. I would like to find another diver or divers that have the same desire to go diving as I do. As there aren’t many places to choose from in the North Texas Area (I live in Rockwall, Tx.) I would not only like someone that will dive the lakes and quarries, but also someone will be willing to make a fast weekend trip somewhere different (other than Clear Springs, though I do enjoy diving there) to dive. If there are other people in a similar situation (either your dive buddy’s not as into it or your spouse does not dive) let me know and we will go diving sometime.

I am thinking about joining a dive club to see if that improves my ability to find a compatible dive buddy. If any of you have had success in finding regular dive buddies throug a club let me know. If you are a member of a local dive club here in the DFW area let me know what makes your club good.

Thanks,

Jay