Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Gear
wcarlile - 7/02/2009 2:59 PM
Category: Equipment
Replies: 14

What is one piece of gear you wished you never bought?

What is one that got a way?

wes
scubaclay - 7/02/2009 3:44 PM
I only use my jacket BCD for the pool sessions, other than that I always use a wing configuration. A couple of years ago I bought 2 Posiden regulators, 1 cyclone and 1 extreme. I am tech to service them, but can’t get parts.
Rich-D-Fish - 7/02/2009 4:15 PM
My H2-Yo underwater rattle. Can’t hear it with a hood on, so pretty much useless.
seawolfdiving - 7/02/2009 4:26 PM

I should have bought the steel tanks instead of the aluminum 80s that I currently have.

However, I do love my Apeks regulators....
LatitudeAdjustment - 7/02/2009 4:30 PM

Back in the early 70’s Farralon, now Oceanic made a type of deco meter to show tissue loading. They never aggreed, we had three of them in the club, once I wore all three on the same dive, they still didn’t agree with one another!

More recently, a lazer pointer.
divemaiden - 7/02/2009 6:16 PM

When I updated my bcd because my first one was falling apart (I loved my first one, it was jacket style with pockets so big I could fit my old, film camera in its housing inside), I bought a back inflate with an integrated Air2, because that was the thing at the time.

The pocket (not pockets) is so small, it might as well not exist. Well, it will fit a reefmaster mini camera, but it’s a drop-down, hanging pocket with no protection, and it’s too low and too far to the back of the bcd that I can’t reach it under water to put anything in, or take anything out (I now tuck my reefmaster mini down the front of my wetsuit, it stays nicely put right below my clavical).

And, the Air2 is too big for my small hands, it makes inflating and deflating a chore.

If I had to do it over, I might get the same style bcd, regardless of the flimsy pocket, but I’d never get the Air2. (althought it might be okay for a guy since men have bigger hands)
1maurscuba - 7/04/2009 12:46 PM

This is a great topic!! I’m surprised more buddies haven’t responded. I guess alot of people are away for the holiday. ( diving of course!! )

I’ve been lucky so far w/ everything I’ve purchased but I still have a lot more to buy. Happy 4th!!!
steelheadfish - 7/05/2009 5:30 PM
I have to say i wish i would of went to steel tanks HP’s . I bought 80cu alums and i dove with them for a year then went to steels what a difference!!
dalehall - 7/06/2009 7:22 AM
I wish I would have not bought so many cheap [ at ] $$ flashlights. If I would have saved the money I spent on all the crap ones, I could have paid for a good canister light by now.
I also wished I went with steel tanks instead of aluminum.
Great topic!!
Dale
daz88 - 7/06/2009 12:57 PM

my first dive bag was really cheap and fell apart. What a waste of money! Bought an Amor bag with matching backpack. Really heavy duty and still looks like new. Just don’t pay to go cheap!
Matt65 - 7/08/2009 4:49 AM
 I got 3 different types of slates. The one I use now is a small wrist mount one, is nice, compact, and altho I hardly use it, it is there for when you want to and is out of the way inlike the monsterous ones I also have. Hell, the big ones are still in thier package, I never even took ’em out after recieving them, didn’t think they were so big (bought from online store).
DiveBuddyChgo - 7/11/2009 5:51 PM
Polartec material for light wetsuit wear....
daz88 - 7/19/2009 6:07 AM
From daz88:

my first dive bag was really cheap and fell apart. What a waste of money! Now I have an Amor bag with matching backpack. Really heavy duty and still looks like new. Just don’t pay to go cheap!
castanagajt - 7/28/2009 3:00 AM
Mcnett sea gold. Retractors and octopus holder, knives that costs over 20.00 most of all, my DeepSee frame less scuba mask. That thing caved in at 110ft. deep. Starts to leak constantly at 40ft.

Fix? I am now securing my octo and my computer to my cumberbund like my instructor has taught me. In result, no more retractors or octo holder.

Makes me less worried when I am staring at my computer all the time and makes better air consumption.

DeepSee mask for 55.00 doesn’t fit the greatest on real SCUBA situations so it was replaced with a 30.00 Cressi Sub matrix far better mask overall.